Hi! Newbie in NJ with a question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi! Newbie in NJ with a question...

Hi guys, my name is Jeff, I'm new here...just got my second LT1 powered beast after 9 years of absence from the GM scene.

You guys familiar with any speed shops in the Essex County area that deal with LT1s? I want to take my 95 T/A and get the front and rear seals, tranny seals, heads and headers installed, and a blower...

I looked all over Montclair for a place that supposedly did this work but couldn't find it. Any help?
    1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Some people like Cartek in Garwood. I don't know about the tranny, but the rest of the stuff they can do. I've never been there, but they have done some 9-second LT1's.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I think I've heard that name..I will check them out, thanks!
      1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

Comment

A word of caution, for ANY shop you may deal with. In general, most of these shops have more work than they can handle. That means that you often have to wait a lot longer than they tell you to get your car, engine, etc. back. And sometimes pay more than you planned.

I am not singling out Cartek, because I have never dealt with them... just making an observation about the business in general.

Put a major effort into defining exactly what you want done, the way you would like it done, the agreed price for the work, and the agreed completion date. Be prepared for minor cost increases and minor schedule delays.... it is inevitible. A good shop often has very limited resources. It is hard for them to expand, without giving up personal control of the work. If you sense things are going bad, speak up ASAP.

....end of "fatherly advice"......

Fred
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks!

Heh heh, not my first time dealing with a speed shop, though. I used to take my 93 Formula to Truppi/Kling in Green Brook, but Mike doesn't work on street cars anymore...

For the last 9 years, my rear end has been in the seat of 6 different Mustangs and a Lincoln LSC, all of which had their nuts turned by Alfredo Bolotta of Valley Performance.

Unfortunately, as much as I trust my mechanic, he is truly a Ford guy and just don't know if I want to burden him with learning this animal known as "El Tee". =)

That's all...I appreciate the advice though...

Comment

Yeah.... Mike Truppi is "interesting". I tried for 6 months to get them to install a set of headers and gears for me back in 1995-96, and Mike kept telling me to "call next week and set a date".... and his father kept saying "we don't do that kind of work." Mike's a nice guy, but that shop is something else. When I finally picked up my headers to take them somewhere else (did it myself) they had to look all over the shop for the pieces, and could never find the bolts and gaskets

If you want anything serious done, Second Street Speed in Perkasie PA has built some of the quickest LT1's on the planet.
            Fred

Comment

Also check out Stage1 at http://www.stage1automotive.com/

It's in Pompton Lakes off of 23N about 5 miles north of Rt 80.

They did an awesome job on my gear install. They do have a bit of work there, but have always worked with me to set up a date. I have not been dissappointed thus far.

While there I was also checking out an Turbo install on an LS1. The owner and employees are very personable and easy to work with. This is really the only shop I take my car to now.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                Yeah.... Mike Truppi is "interesting". I tried for 6 months to get them to install a set of headers and gears for me back in 1995-96, and Mike kept telling me to "call next week and set a date".... and his father kept saying "we don't do that kind of work." Mike's a nice guy, but that shop is something else. When I finally picked up my headers to take them somewhere else (did it myself) they had to look all over the shop for the pieces, and could never find the bolts and gaskets

If you want anything serious done, Second Street Speed in Perkasie PA has built some of the quickest LT1's on the planet.
                Ralph never liked the fact that Mike was doing street cars, he said their business is building race engines (they did Tom Martino's 1st Pro Stock motor). I go there and shoot the breeze from time to time. The only thing that ticked me off was when Mike did get your car, I know he had to work on it in his spare time, but I got "Dude I was hammered (tired in Mike Speak), I went home..."

Oh well, that was another lifetime ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                  Also check out Stage1 at http://www.stage1automotive.com/

It's in Pompton Lakes off of 23N about 5 miles north of Rt 80.

They did an awesome job on my gear install. They do have a bit of work there, but have always worked with me to set up a date. I have not been dissappointed thus far.

While there I was also checking out an Turbo install on an LS1. The owner and employees are very personable and easy to work with. This is really the only shop I take my car to now.
                  Thanks! I'm going to do a drive by today

Comment

Thanks Joe

I went to Stage 1 yesterday and met Rob. He seems very knowledgeble and was able to give me no nonsense info based on my wants, needs and budget (or lack thereof ). I think I have found my new haven and will probably see you there from time to time, I only let one person work on my cars (barring any emergencies) one I find a good one.

Thanks again

Jeff

Comment

I'm glad I could help!

One thing I really do like is that Rob will tell you not just what needs to be done, but he'll take you under the car and show you as well. I always hate it when the people at a shop get a little perturbed if you ask to see they're work or ask questions. The Stage1 guys don't seem to mind at all, and actually take time to "show off" a little.
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD
                      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by FireFinder20
                        Heh heh, not my first time dealing with a speed shop, though. I used to take my 93 Formula to Truppi/Kling in Green Brook, but Mike doesn't work on street cars anymore...

Wow! It seems Mike has been getting in hot water with his dad for a while...

I had the same thing happen about three years ago. I asked Mike to do a rear-end upgrade/install for me. After several months of call me next week, I finally took it in to see him. However, when I got there, his dad appologized and said Mike had a big mouth...the shop doesn't do this sort of thing...only race engines.

Long story short, I eventually took it down to south Jersey and had Jay do it (Jay Fisher Pontiac).
                        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Mike's brother had a 94 25th T/A coupe. As soon as he bought it, it was at Englishtown, running low 11's/120mph with a nitrous kit. Queen City Pontiac was refusing to keep rebuilding the T56 under warranty, since they knew how the car was being used. But Mike and his brother never told "dad" that the car had nitrous, because he hated nitrous. The entire system was hidden in the front bumper cover. I'm pretty sure they even stopped filling nitrous bottles in the last couple years. Somebody told me that the 25th T/A is still sitting at the shop, beat to crap. I haven't even driven past there in at least 2 years.
                          Fred

Comment

Working...
                          X