Need a new clutch. HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new clutch. HELP!

I have a problem deciding on a new clutch. A stock clutch lists at about 580 after everything. I found a SPEC stage 3 clutch available for around 600 and then a Centerforce clutch for 750. I am a little strapped for cash but I don't put garbage into my car so if anyone has any experience or had luck with any certain clutch please let me know.

"A Camaro is not a Camaro unless it's sittin on 8 cylinders"
    -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
    98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
    98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
    94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Go with the SLP clutch for heavy duty everyday driving. It is the clutch that went in the LT4 and SS cars stock.

It consists of a stock clutch disk and a heavy duty drilled pressure plate with release Bearing. I purchased mine from SLP. I scuffed up the stock flywheel with emery cloth and reused it with no problem.

It is made by Valeo. The same company that makes the OEM ones. You can't go wrong with that!

www.slpeng.com

Clutch disk - $89.95
    Presure Plate and throwout bearing - $259.95

There is even a webpage in installing it!:
    http://www.ws6.com/slpclutc.htm

Comment

If you are looking for a clutch to take some power, I like the SPEC stage 3. Great company to deal with too. Its a little tougher to drive on the street, but it does not slip at all.

Centerforce is a good clutch too, but not worth the extra $$$ IMOP. They dont take care of their customers like SPEC either.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
        Its a little tougher to drive on the street, but it does not slip at all.
        True, the SPEC clutches are awsome, but this guy drives his car as a regular driver on the street every day. A stage 3 SPEC would be a PITA during stop and go traffic..

Maybe stage 1?? I havent heard much about those and their drivability.

Comment

Its not THAT bad. I drive mine everyday in the summer and do a bit of stop and go. You just have to get used to it.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I did the Spec stage 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel. Mine is a daily driver too, just keep the rev's up above 1k when starting out and it will be fine. I've got 5k on it now.

I had a ceterforce clutch, but it didn't last more than 65k, mainly due to the intake leak.

My oem clutch made 135k until the disc developed a crack.
            The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

I've heard nothing but great things about SPEC.

Thunder Racing has Stage 2 for $390 and Stage 3 for around $420.

Comment

Working...
              X