Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do burnouts cost??

hi all,
    well I have a friend that has a supercharged v6 chevy lumina and he always does the biggest baddest burnouts. Only thing hes ever wrecked is his tyres. I've always wanted to do burnouts ever since i bought my z28 but i've always been afraid coz i worry that something here or there will snap and viola i'll end up with no car. By burnout here i mean keeping one foot on the break whilst the other is on the gas.

So, what kinda things would it possibly destroy if i do this. If it would just wear my brakes and tyres thats okay and worth trying to get a few pics for my website and album yes I keep a car album, doesn't everyone?? I'm worried the engine would blow or something like that. My engine is in top form now anyway, just got a full service and everything is 100%. so has anyone tried burnouts in their Z and what kinda things could it possibly wreck besides tyres and brakes. ? cheers
    93 camaro Z28, A4 auto
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503401

"he who hesitates is lost."

it is hard on the brakes and tires, and also the automatic transmission or clutch.

If you are just doing it once for some pictures and video, its cool. I wouldn't do it every day, though.

Comment

Hey Man, Ive done alot of Burnouts with my formula (alot in front of 5.0's,hehe) Nothing that i know of has ever been ruined, Keep in mind though how expensive tires are for these cars,after i bought a new set of tires i havent done them anymore.
      Miss My Bird

Comment

You may bust a trans mount if you have sticky tires- no worries though- $20 and a trip to the speed shop will net you a poly one that you won't break

Comment

Let's see, In my 1970 Dodge 340 6 pack, I broke 3 rear ends, 2 automatic transmissions, 1 4spd, and 1 drivers seat. Never broke a clutch or U joints.

I'm My 85 Mustang, I ripped a few teeth of the ring gear.

2 trans mounts on the 95 Z28 but they may have gone do to the hard 1-2 shift.

Probably a few thousand dollars worth of tires.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Re: what do burnouts cost??

Originally posted by zwrangler
            so has anyone tried burnouts in their Z.....
            Why no, not us!

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28 Let's see, In my 1970 Dodge 340 6 pack, I broke 3 rear ends, 2 automatic transmissions, 1 4spd, and 1 drivers seat. Never broke a clutch or U joints.
            Jeff, did you really break all this stuff just doing burnouts?

As for myself, I wrecked my rear brakes at the track in the burnout box. Too lazy to do a line-lock. Probably a few thou off the tires for every smoke show.

Comment

One bit of advice, when doing a power-brake or burnout, don't just keep it floored the whole time (unless needed ), in my opinion it's not a good idea to let the engine bounce off the rev limiter...get em spinnin, then back off to just enough to keep em goin' (sounds nice when you pump the throttle a bit too!).

Also, beware that a street tire will be really "greesy" and slick for a few moments after a burnout, be careful not to loose it sideways taking off afterwards! Been there...done that!

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

Ouch. damn jeff 95 z28 you've broken a lotta stuff doing burnouts got me thinkin twice. but screw it, its on!!! I need new tyres pretty soon anyway so if it wears my tyres thats really no problem since they're gonna be changed soon. Hopefully i'll do the burnout and have the pics up on my website sometimes next week. By the way, do camaro's do good good burnouts ?? my friends supercharged 6 is much less powerful than my camaro but it smokes in like 2 seconds.

The funniest thing ever is sitting at the lights in that lumina which looks fully stock. then people next to us give us these looks like "pfff, what a crappy car" and then my friend lights those rears up and the whole street gets so full of smoke you can barely see the traffic lights. the look on their faces at this point is absolutely priceless
                93 camaro Z28, A4 auto
                http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503401

"he who hesitates is lost."

Comment

pretty impressive how he lights up the rears considering it is a front wheel drive car...????

Ruz

Comment

I never do burnouts. Or Donuts. Or figure eights. No really.

I'm against it. Its really juvenile.

In fact, when I have a brand new set of tires , I never go on a he11 ride around the neighborhood, leaving smoke clouds like a 4th of July celebration.

Never.

96 TA Sold!
                    87 TA Sold!
                    80 Z28 Sold!
                    74 Formula Sold!
                    73 Z28 Sold!
                    69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Hey zwrangler, lay the smack down on those tires! And take some video of it and post it.

Do like Flash said and just keep your foot in it just enough to keep em spinnin!

Comment

pretty impressive how he lights up the rears considering it is a front wheel drive car...????
                        Those crazy kids with their front drivers- lining up backwards and racing in reverse. What will they think of next?

Comment

Want to see my f-body in action? Head over to the 2002 photos section of www.nopinationals.com and look for the black Ram Air.

My rules of engagement, get out of the clutch fast, use as little brake as possible, and keep it under 4500 so the tires can stay a little bit flat (for even wear and more smoke) and so the motor doesn't get as hot so quickly. I've been 1:00 4 times at NOPI that way, not to mention all my showoffs and track pass preparation. Futuras smoke well and are cheapo at Pep Boys. The amount of smoke has nothing to do with the car, it's the tires, and the only way to know how much smoke you'll get is to burn them down and find out. Generally, the cheaper the tire the better they smoke, since they don't last very long and are made out of cheaper materials (which tend to wear fast when overheated).
                          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

"Jeff, did you really break all this stuff just doing burnouts?"

LOL I can't really blame it all on burnouts. Here's the deal and for all of you with V6s that want a V8 listen up. When you replace a car factory equipped with a low power 6 cylinder with a high horsepower V8, You will break the weakest link in the chain and the chains in the 6 cylinder cars are a lot weaker than a V8 car. Put a hot motor in and you will break the trans. Put a good trans and you will break the rear-end. It's cheaper to do it right from the start but who has the up front capital to do it. BTW after you get the drive train to handle the power, The chassis starts taking a beating. The inner fenders will wrinkled without chassis stiffening.

On day I took a left on a road that had a pretty steep grade to it and I stopped, put it in first and punched it. The thing launched and the seat broke and reclined flat. I had my seat belt on but that doesn't stop you from sliding backwards. My head slid all the way to the back of the back seat. Needless to say my feet were about 3 feet from the gas, clutch and brake pedal. Luckily I wasn't doing but maybe 25 mph when it broke. I had to drive it home with no seat back. Try this, recline your seat all the way back and try to drive your car. It's even more fun trying to push in a stiff clutch. I thought ya'll might like a good laugh.
                            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I agree with Mirroredshades. If it's my car, and I'm not at the drap strip cleaning off my tires, I never want to do a burnout.
                              My experience: a co-worker asked to borrow my car a few years ago to pick up something down the street. Well, nevertheless, he tore my stuff up badly. He did a burnout so long and hard, the asfault melted. 2 days later, my right rear caliper fell off. I have proof of where it was dragging on the rim. Coincidence? I think not. After that, my 60' times sucked...badly. I couldn't break 2.4 on new tires. I was pulling 2.0-2.1 on bald GSCs previously. Well, guess what? My tranny started leaking on BOTH seals shortly after so I had to take it in. He also said my torque converter was all screwed up...and spewing metal shreds into the tranny. The good thing was that I was able to get a higher stall converter + a good shift kit. The bad thing: out $1800. What happened after that? The pinion seal started leaking. It was maybe 6 months to a year after, but I know that the burnout was the culprit - I just had the thing replaced previously, and I did start to see a little rear end oil in that area after. Put a new one in, and hasn't given me a problem.
                              So to conclude, do burnouts are your own risks. Remember, these are street cars and aren't meant to take extensive abuse (i.e. long burnouts).
                              Just my $0.02.
                              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
                              X