bought new rims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought new rims

THE NEW RIMS I BOUGHT ARE Y2K VETTE RIMS. THEY ARE 17X9.5 IN FRONT AND 18X10.5 IN REAR ,I THINK THE FRONT ONES WILL FIT BUT REAR ONES HIT THE AXEL STOPPER IN WHEEL WELL SO I GAVE THE PEOPLE I BOUGHT THEM FROM A CALL. THEY TOLD ME THEY SELL THESE RIMS TO PEOPLE WITH TRANS AMS EVERY DAY AND A WHEEL SPACER WILL BE NEEDED TO GIVE MORE .I HAVE A 1998 TRANS AM SHOULD I GET WHEEL SPACERS OR NOT?

Some of the C5 18x10.5 wheels have too deep a backspace for the 4th Gen F-Body. You need to find a spacer the correct thickness. Do you know the "offset" or the "backspace" of the wheel? I think they are either 58mm offset/8.00" backspace, or 64mm offset/8.25" backspace. Both of these will have problems without a spacer.

Does it actually hit the "axle stopper" (jounce bumper)? Or is it just a problem of the corner of the jounce bumper bracket being inside the center of the rim, and susceptible to hitting the rim if you jack the car and let the axle hang to full drop? If that is the case, you need to cut the corner off the jounce bumper bracket.

I have 17x11 rims with 7.93" backspace, and they required pounding the inner fenders and cutting the corner off the jounce bumper. Depending on the backspace of your rims, you may or may not be able to do this.

I really hate spacers for road use... they overstress the lugs. But that may be all you can do.

A suggestion. Please do not type with the caps lock button on. It makes the posts very hard to read.

Here is the way I cut the jounce bumper bracket back:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
    X