Need a Torque Arm, but which brand?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Torque Arm, but which brand?

Alright, Spring is coming and really don't want to deal with my wheel hop problem anymore so which brand is the best? Have already replaced the Control Arms and Panard Rod with Hotchkis pieces but still have some serious wheel hop so outside of getting sub-frame connectors I guess all that is left is the Torque Arm. SLP's new Arm looks pretty good, any other suggestions?
    Thanks, Eric

I've got BMR for my torque arm, adjustable panhard rod, lower control arms and relocation brackets.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm

tough to beat them in the price/value dept.

Comment

I would try the LCA relocation brackets first. Seems to be the single biggest contributor to eliminating wheel hop. If that fails, try the torque arm.

Decide how far you plan to take the HP thing, and how willing you are to accpept a little noise in daily driving. That will determine whether you get a TA the uses the stock tranny tailshaft connection (OK for lower HP levels, less noise) or a TA that relocates the front mount to the body (good for high HP applications, more noise, vibration.).

I have the Spohn Performance products, and very satisfied with the design, quality and customer service.

SPOHN PERFORMANCE

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I don't have one but being a mechanical designer, I think the Spohn design http://www.spohn.net/category.cfm?categoryid=1048 is superior to all of the other designs I have seen. The thing I like about it is it takes the torque arm off of the transmission mount which solve the trans mount breaking problem forever. The BMR has 2 designs. One still leaves it on the trans mount http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-body...htm#torquearms and the other http://www.bmrfabrication.com/XtremeDuty.htm relocates it to a tube that has to be welded in. That tube reduces the choices you have for sub frame connectors. You might could cut the tube and graft to the X SFC designs but it wasn't designed for that. The Spohn doesn't have any of those problems.

I agree with Fred and would start with sub frame connectors first. Especially since they are half the price. I like the BMR box ones best http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-body...frameconnector I think there is a slight advantage to the X frame connectors but since the inner bolts bolt to the bottom of the floor pan where the transmission cross member mounts and not actually to each other, I don't think there is but maybe a 5% increase in effectiveness. It just isn't worth it to me considering haveing the extra bars under there that can limit the torque arm and exhaust system choices down the road.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I have SLP's extreme duty torque arm, along with their SFC's, LCA's and reinforced panhard bar, Bilstein susp. and when I break loose it's quite smooth, feels solid as a rock.
          Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

Fred what size rear bar are you using, looks to be bigger than my 35mm SLP Front bar, damn Thanks for all the suggestions guys, now I just have to decide based on price which is better. Seems that the Spohn design works the best, I'll have to check the price. Since I don't take the my car to the track won't SFC's be overkill? My rear even hops when shifting hard into second, forget about first.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Eric

Comment

I have the Global West Traclink, which eliminates the factory tranny mount, yet still mounts the front of the torque arm to the tranny crossbrace, which is probably one of the strongest pieces of metal on the entire car. The back part of it mounts in the driver's side rear passenger under seat area, which eliminates the need for total carpet removal like some other torque arms, yet still mounts it to some pretty strong metal. It has full angle adjustablility and is quiet while still retaining strength. I like it, but have not made any real passes on it. Global West claims improved 60 foot times and also helps cornering ability (supposedly cars with their components win a lot of road course races).

I also have adjustable, poly ended Spohn LCA's and PHR as well.
              "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by Eric 97LT4SS
                Fred what size rear bar are you using, looks to be bigger than my 35mm SLP Front bar, damn ....
                Eric
                The rear bar is a Spohn "drag" style rear sway bar. 1-5/16" (34mm) solid chrome moly, and adjustable rod-end end links. Accomplishes the same thing as the Wolfe drag-style sway bar, but a bit easier to mount. It's not recommended for a daily driver. I also do not have a front sway bar, so the car would be extremely erratic on the street. The bar is mainly intended to keep the car level, and pointed straight ahead as the front wheels come off the track.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                X