Picking up my Electric Cutout Today!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking up my Electric Cutout Today!

Well, I decided to take the plunge and put down some dough on a QTEC Electric Cutout. It's compatible with my Borla and should let me open/close the exhaust in a few seconds.

I've changed out my adjustable plates a number of times now and it usually takes 10 minutes. Thing is, while I like the car loud, most other passengers prefer it to be a little quieter on the Highway. I've been known to carry earplugs for passengers.
    Long trips can get to be a pain, but when I get there I miss the louder V8 sound.

I should have it in by this weekend. I'll let y'all know how it goes! ....I'm all giddy...

Here's they're website...They're only 30 minutes down the road from me.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/qtec.htm
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

So, you can install it in the borla where the normal plates go? You only need 1 then, right?

Can you post a pic of the installation when it is done?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      So, you can install it in the borla where the normal plates go? You only need 1 then, right?

Can you post a pic of the installation when it is done?
      Correct.

Here's a website that has install instructions and pics.
      http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/memberpage/342629/5
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Hey Joe...where are they located? I'm only about 45 minutes South of you...

Let me know what you think of it...I have the same set up as you and have been wanting to do this for some time.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I'll do that. They're located in Ramsey, not far off of 17.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

I had one of those on my 93 Formula. Mine was a McCord Powerplate, but they are essentially the same.

They work well, it was my favorite thing about the car - even with the 383 in there. hehehe

You will like it, especially since you don't have climb under the car anymore.

Randy
            99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
            93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Here's a picture of the contents of the kit. Not pictured are 3 bolts and nuts that are a little narrower than the Borla bolts. This is so they can fit through the coutout bolt holes.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

That "cutout" together with the Borla are on the wishlist for a while now. Have even been playing with the thought to get that cutout and use it with my stock exhaust. This way I could add some aggressive sound to my T/A until I can justify spending the money on a Borla.

Will be interesting to see how well it works.
                97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Well, it's in!

I pretty much followed the install instructions from the link I posted. I put the switch under the cigarette lighter. Only thing I didn't do was the wiring. I took it to a stereo/alarm/etc. place down the street for that. They wired it to the ignition. Total install time was about 3 hours. I took my time.

All in all it's a very clean installation. I thought that the thicker plate would throw off the exhaust tip alignment a bit, but no problem there. The switch glows amber in neutral pos., green when opening, and red when closing.

It takes about 5 sec's to open or close. I wish they had incorporated a motor position shutoff switch to avoid over torqueing the plate though. If it's done too much the plate may misalign a bit and not completely close. There's a fairly easy fix if that happens though.

This will certainly be nice to have on longer trips!

Funny thing was trying to explain a cutout to the guys at the shop!! Much less an electric cutout! They had NO idea what I was talking about! The lounge was filled with sport compact and Car Stereo mags, so I guess I'm not surprised.
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Joe, you will love that thing. I've had one for years - bought it from some guy making & selling them on the internet before anybody else. It works great and has a drastic effect on the sound. I really consider it one of my trickest mods and just works perfectly with the Borla.

Comment

im planing on a set of qtp longtubes, thinking about the cutouts as well, be sure to post how it goes.......

btw, any ideas on a good cheap y pipe that will mount to them and give me good clearance?

mike
                      pewter 99 TA...t-tops, leather, m6, lid, longtubes back, gears, spec clutch, spohn suspension

Comment

Originally posted by cbrr_mike
                        im planing on a set of qtp longtubes, thinking about the cutouts as well, be sure to post how it goes.......

btw, any ideas on a good cheap y pipe that will mount to them and give me good clearance?

mike
                        Mike you might have to get a custom yp done, and if so while there at it just have them install the cutouts.

Comment

hmm any thoughts of a better combo for most clearance without trading off much performance?
                          pewter 99 TA...t-tops, leather, m6, lid, longtubes back, gears, spec clutch, spohn suspension

Comment

Joe- I knew you would like the e-cutout. It was my favorite toy on the Formula!

Mike- If your real concern is clearance, then I would definitely recommend a custom job. We have a local guy here that does a custom y-pipe on longtubes, and it is awesome. Absolutely no clearance problems even on a lowered car.

Mass- produced y-pipes just droop to low, you need one that can be tucked up under the car, and the only one I have seen like that are custom pipes. Plus it isn't expensive to have a y-pipe welded up.

Randy
                            99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
                            93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Working...
                            X