Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Englishtown Raceway Park noise regs are driving me nuts....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPL = 10 log (r/rref)2 = 20 log (r/rref)

If you "do sound" you should know the difference between sound pressure level, and sound level. You are thinking of sound level. Because the human ear discriminates against low frequencies, any measurement of the subjective response to SOUND PRESSURE must be adjusted to match the sensing characteristics of the ear. This weighted measurement of sound pressure is hence called 'sound level', as opposed to SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL, which is an unweighted, objective measurement of sound pressure.

Sound pressure level used to descibe the measuring of the magnitude of sound. It is a relative quantity in that it is the ratio between the actual SOUND PRESSURE and a fixed reference pressure. This reference pressure is usually that of the threshold of hearing which has been internationally agreed upon as having the value .0002 dynes/cm2.

Follow me so far. Here is more.

The following is a direct quote from a MIT scientific database correlated to a study regarding devices used to meausure the properties and inherent characteristics of "sound":

"An instrument for measuring the level of sound pressure in DECIBELs. Such measurements are called sound level readings. See: SOUND LEVEL.

Sound level meters usually contain different weighting networks (designated A, B, C, D) to discriminate against different frequencies. The very low frequencies are discriminated against quite severely by the A network, in a manner similar to the response of the ear (see EQUAL LOUDNESS CONTOURS), but only moderately by the B network and hardly at all by the C network. Therefore, if the measured sound level on the C network is much higher than that on the A network, much of the sound energy is concentrated in the low frequency region (see INFRASONIC).

Since the A weighting network corresponds to the tendency of the ear to discriminate against low frequency sounds, it is often employed in decibel measurements of community noise. Such measurements are designated dBA (see NOISE LEVEL).
    The sound level meter, however, DOES NOT take into account the frequency region of the noise, or other factors which may cause annoyance. "

Comment

180º sounds like music to my ears. Gives it a distict, throaty tone more like a howl than a bellow if that helps. It is one sweet sound. Sweetest sounding small block I ever heard was in a kit car with 180º headers and header mufflers. That thing made a banshee type howl from 6500 rpm up to an 8K redline

Wonder what an x pipe would do with that See.... another reason for us to have a funded test facility.

Comment

"Sweetest sounding small block I ever heard was in a kit car with 180º headers and header mufflers. That thing made a banshee type howl from 6500 rpm up to an 8K redline "

I have heard that sound also, and it indeed sounds wicked !

Holy sh$t, we agreed JOE!

Comment

Kevin,

You "assume" I "do" sound. You don't need to quote formulas to teach me the point. I know sound, it is what I deal with being a Musician. The point I am referring to is that they are tayloring their meters to "listen" for a particular range that has been proven to be the objectionable range of frequencies to humans. I am not re-writing the laws of physics, I am comparing it to humans and what their opinion is. The problem is.... Their perception is reality. If they don't complain when they hear 82 vps @ 100 db, yet 8K vps @ 98 db sends them into agony, take a guess which db the threshold is set for? Yup, 98 db. However, the meters will be tuned to be most sensitive to the 8K vps range. Good thing too. The stuff in the field I've seen was using a directional mic. That makes a difference as does a wind screen. Perhaps the equipment I've seen is different that what is used to measure how loud the neighborhood garbage truck is at 5:45 am. Don't know.... What I do know for certain, I know what sounds the geezers don't like. Them squeelin' tires. Makes their hearing aids whistle. They hate the crashing noise the drummer makes. They hate the high screaming lyrics. They hate high trumpets, etc. Getting the appropriate sound mixes for a huge outdoor arena I was playing in was constantly monitored due to neighboring communities and noise restrictions. They were also concerned mostly with the high frequencies as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
            [BHoly sh$t, we agreed JOE! [/B]

Comment

Hey Joe.... can you get my son a job?.... he's got a degree in audio engineering technology, and seems to be in a dead-end job selling high-end electronics at a local "chain" music store. I figure if he got a better job, he could pay me more "rent"..... and I need the $$$$ for some more HP.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                Hey Joe.... can you get my son a job?.... he's got a degree in audio engineering technology, and seems to be in a dead-end job selling high-end electronics at a local "chain" music store. I figure if he got a better job, he could pay me more "rent"..... and I need the $$$$ for some more HP.
                LOL, that's funny. Well, actually not. The audio job market is pretty saturated. Institutions have been pumping out graduates as fast as technology has been advancing. As the equipment gets better, less people are required. What's funny is that I am selling high end electronics and managaing in a national chain music store. I also travel from location to location giving concerts. Just another "dead end" job. LOL! If you are even remotely serious about your son, there is a theme park in Florida that closed, soon to be re-opened. It's called Cypress Gardens, soon to be open again in May. There is a 5000 seat outdoor arena and there will be openings for audio engineering when it kicks back up in May. Cost of living in the area would be exceptionally low as well.

Comment

He works for Sam Ash Music. He does get a few "percs" with trips to manufacturer's training all over the country. He also gets good deals from some of the manuf's on the equipment he buys for himself, and has built a small studio in my basement. I really like his Blue Sky monitors.

But the $$$ just aren't there. He really wants something a little more "hands on".
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Gotcha! Sam Ash is a high volume, but shopped market. It's going to be tough to make a buck in that environment unless you are either a monster salesperson or you step up into management. I work for Fletcher Music www.fletchermusic.com
                    as a branch manager and traveling artist. It is based on education and step up sales. It is more profitable to all parties, better for the customer, but difficult to market as widely as a full line dealer like Sam Ash. Harder work, but that is where the financial reward for performance makes a difference. My position earns the highest pay rate in our industry as compared by national polls. It is a very hands on business, definately not for everyone, yet one heck of a career if you take the corporate message statement to heart: Enhancing the quality of our customer's life through active participation in music while providing a challenging and rewarding career for all employees in an environment that stimulates personal and corporate growth.

Now the stuff I run into while I am out performing is most likely what the young one is interested in. Running the sound during live shows.

Comment

Working...
                    X