12 bolt progress report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 bolt progress report

Spent the day working on the new 12 bolt. I've never done this before, so its slow going. I want to make sure I get it right. I did a mechanical drawing of the old 10 bolt so that I had all of the dimensions before I started cutting. I got the 12 bolt degreased, wire wheeled, and the old bracketry and housing ends off. I cut some of the needed bracketry off the old 10 bolt and then started to carefully measure and tack them on the 12 bolt. tommorrow I will do the other side and hopefully friday I will do the housing ends and maybe get to the torque arm brackets.
    Heres a few pics.
    Attached Files
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

another.......
    Attached Files
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

and another.......
      Attached Files

Comment

Maybe you can get some Ford ends and use the big bearings. It would be nice to not have the c-clips after all of that work. Then you would need some good axles. You also have the yoke to consider - another place I wouldn't skimp - get one for the big 1350 u-joint, then get a nice beefy driveshaft. let us know what your plans are - good luck!

Comment

One of the reasons for building the rear this way is to save money, but mostly to learn and gain experience from it. So, I am not planning on skimping on the internals: Eaton posi unit, Yukon gears, custom moser 30 spline axles, new housing ends to accept the press on bearings (no c-clips), and a moser girdle. All in all, it should be a pretty stout rear. And.....I think I have decided on the Centerline Telstars (slicks AND skinnies) with either 27x10.5x15 ET streets or Hoosier Quick time pros.

Comment

Nice. Housing straightened?

Comment

You do very nice work.... I'm impressed .

Be very careful with the welding on the tubes. Applying heat to one side of the tube to weld on a bracket can cause the tube to warp/bend. I've seen references to using an alignment jig when adding weld material at the tube/housing connection, or adding attachments.

I would guess that after you get it all done, you could have the alignment checked.

I wish I had the time, the patience and the skills to do that job.

Good luck!
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Looking good! That rear will be seeing the track in no time!

Even though I weld part time and have good welding ability, I got lazy and I am just going to order my 9" housing with tubes from Strange, pre-setup with all brackets, housing ends, and back brace. It wasn't too pricy like I though it would be. 556.00 shipped

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                  Nice. Housing straightened?
                  I havent had it straightened. But I have no reason to beleive its bent either.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer

Be very careful with the welding on the tubes. Applying heat to one side of the tube to weld on a bracket can cause the tube to warp/bend. I've seen references to using an alignment jig when adding weld material at the tube/housing connection, or adding attachments.

I can weld, and it functions O.K., but I am NOT an expert by any means, so im just tacking it. After I get the whole thing ready, I will take it to a professional who will do a nice job making it strong and keep it from warping.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                      Looking good! That rear will be seeing the track in no time!

Even though I weld part time and have good welding ability, I got lazy and I am just going to order my 9" housing with tubes from Strange, pre-setup with all brackets, housing ends, and back brace. It wasn't too pricy like I though it would be. 556.00 shipped
                      560 for the whole thing?? Is that set up for a torque arm or no?? I will have almost 400 into my homemade housing by the time im done.

Comment

It will have LCA brackets, spring perches, shock brackets, and panhard brackets. I ordered it w/o the ta bracket because we are going to do a pretty trick ta that will most likely use a 3 bolt rear bracket. Pretty good deal I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                          I havent had it straightened. But I have no reason to beleive its bent either.
                          I always make it a habit of having the housing straightened. Even though you might not think it is bent, you might be suprised at how much longevity you build into a rear by starting with squared housings. Bearings last longer, seals last longer, the rear runs quieter and cooler. IMHO, before I put everything back together, make sure it's been straightened. I've seen bone stock axle tubes not squared with the center. Straightening is quick, inexpensive and good insurance.

Comment

Where can i have that done and can it be done with all the bracketry and stuff on there?

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                              Where can i have that done and can it be done with all the bracketry and stuff on there?
                              Sure it can be done with everything attached. I would not go as far as assembling the rears internals. It is a common practice to do it with OEM rears after many service miles. As far as who does it? You'll have to find a shop in your area that does custom rear work and they should have a jig to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X