V6 Exhaust Questions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 Exhaust Questions...

Ok, so here's the deal... I have a '96 camaro 3.8 with headers, high flow cat, and 80 series flowmaster... I replaced the stock catalytic converter about a month ago when the inside fell apart. Well, after an encounter with a steep speedbump, my new cat, purchased and installed by meineke, broke apart on the inside. I tried to get them to replace it, but they said the warranty didn't cover impacts... SO, I've found them online for a good price. Now to question #1...
    I believe my stock exhaust run is 2 or 2.25 inches... does anyone know for sure (for the correct cataylitic converter size)?
    The headers' y-pipe ends with a 3 inch collector. From there it's shrunk to stock pipe size... until it reaches the muffler where the pipe is expanded to 2.5... Would replacing everything from the y-pipe back to the muffler with 2.5 inch pipe make a difference? And, Meineke quoted me $155 for the custom pipe... is that a reasonable price?
    And question #3.
    Would replacing everything with 3 inch piping (new muffler too) be overkill for my V6? It's nothing too special, just an intake, headers, and exhaust.

Thanks for your help

george
    1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

I had a 98 3.8 and used to check the v6f-body board often. It was the common understanding there that the 3.8 V6 needed a bit of backpressure to perform at it's best (at least in stock form). 3" all the way through may be a bit overkill. If I'm not mistaken the intermediate pipe is 2.25".
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

the 3.8 do need some back pressure to perform...but I've seen 3.8 with 3 inch piping...aka virus (a v6 that runs 12's), but virus has a super charger...

I'd stick to 2.5 piping...

and joe is right...it's 2.25 stock.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

aight guys, thanks for the help!

george
        1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

Working...
        X