Where to mount Nitrous

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to mount Nitrous

Quick question. On your guys nitrous systems, where do you mount them in the car? Is there an easy way to mount them inconspicously within the body of the car and conduct controls remotely inside? My friend just puts his mounted in the back on the hump where he can turn it on easily. Thanx guys.
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

im assuming you have a fourth gen, if this is the case, you can mount it where the spare tire is. Youll have to scrap the spare of course. As for controls, if you do a search someone posted on the site about switch plates that make to fit in your ash tray. So no one will be able to see anything, unless you show them. oh and for opening the bottle, remote bottle opener.
    -ken-
    ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

Comment

Do you want "stealth"? Do you want it out in the open? I've seen the bottles on the hump between the back seats, in the space where the back seat cushion used to be, on the "package shelf" behind the seat, on one of the roll bar rear braces, in the hatch well where the T-tops store (mine), and in the spare tire well.

My first choice for a street car was in the hatch well, where the T's would store. Its not in the hot sun, hidden from view (if you want) by the fold up cover panel, and easy to mount the bottle in the correct orientation. I used a remote "bottle valve", and operated it from a panel in the driver's side door pocket. The first setup had the bottle semi-horizontal on the hatch well floor. The second setup stood it up on end, bolted to the rear body panel (pic below). I think now that the car isn't street driven, I will put it on the hump where the back seat used to be, just to shorten the length of the line.

You need to have a blowdown pipe to route the discharge of the pressure rupture disc to the outside of the car.

Bottle with NOS remote valve, bottle heater and NX nitrous filter:

Remote valve deleted, some other "weight reduction" undertaken:

Control panel in driver's door pocket:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Here is my setup:

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/cincity/...allery_IV.html

KnightFire
        1993 Formula Firebird
        Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

I have a 15# bottle mounted in the factory spare location, behind the panel. My nitrous line runs down underneath the car, so that's hidden. The solenoids are mounted at the very bottom of the radiator, so that's hidden. My nitrous line inserts into the rubber boot to the throttle body from underneath it and is loomed to look like a factory wiring harness, so that's hidden. Even my window switch is hidden underneath my MSD ignition. And finally, my switches are mounted in the bottom of my factory ash tray (no custom panels here, used a factory part) so that's hidden.

Did I say it was hidden yet?

Seriously, if you take your time and think about how you want to run it, you can hide it very well. The only way you'd know my car had nitrous was if you put it on a lift, because you can't visibly see any changes to the car, even with the hood open. The only thing you can really see (and you'd have to physically lean down to see it) is the fuel pressure safety switch, but I plan on hiding that too pretty soon. All it takes is time and patience, it will work.
          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Awesome ideas and great pictures guys. Thanx a lot.
            Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

Working...
            X