285-40-17's on 17 x 9 rim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 285-40-17's on 17 x 9 rim

I need to know asap if anyone has mounted a 285-40-17 tire on a stock SS 17 X 9 rim. Just ordered Firehawks from the Tire Rack; the tech wasn't sure if they would fit.

97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

Everybody isn't going to believe this but Firestone is no longer listing the SZ-50EP on their web site. They list the SZ-50 run flat but not the regular one. I wonder if they have stopped making them.

According to the tire racks web site, the 285-40 is speced for a 9.5-11" wide wheel. This has been hashed several time on here and there are people who have done it but I wouldn't.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

A 285 will fit...... Ken C did that for the rear of his Comp T/A, with regular 275s up front. It really should go on a 9.5 rim which is ideal. I do know that Firestone and other manufacturers were raising their prices, tirerack has the SZ50EP on sale, so they might be just clearing out and for new stock. If they were introducing a new model, you would think Ken would have already spilled the beans.

Comment

ttt
        97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

Comment

Ken?? Are you out there??

Comment

New Moon (not visible) started today... 'da wolfman probably can't function without at least some moonlight!

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

Ken's down to just one Bird now so he will only be here half as often now.

96 TA Sold!
              87 TA Sold!
              80 Z28 Sold!
              74 Formula Sold!
              73 Z28 Sold!
              69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Just ordered a set myself. Dangit, they raised the price to $165.

We shoulda done a group purchase.

Now all I have to do is pick out a set of rims to put the tires on and I will be good to go.

Is it normal to pick out tires B4 picking out rims?

96 TA Sold!
                87 TA Sold!
                80 Z28 Sold!
                74 Formula Sold!
                73 Z28 Sold!
                69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

I see Ken over on Chirpthird a lot (that's my normal hangout) And Yes, they are stopping the production of the Firehawk tires. Looks like Bridgestone wil be the main tire for performance within the company. There was a long dicussion over on Chirpthird. That's why they are hard to come by. I had the SZ50EP's on my SS and loved them. Sucks they aren't making them any longer.

Comment

That is a big disappointment. I just bought my 4th set of firehawks and IMHO, are simply the best all around tire period. Some others may have a little better dry grip, but combined with the firehawk's rain performance, wear characteristics and price, it is the best all around tire out there. Never had a balance issue, tire puncture, uneven wear, cracking, nada. I will be a sad day for the T/A and me when it won't be wearing a set of Firehawks.

Comment

I concur about the best all around tire..nothing is comparable. FYI- I was told, you can still possibly get them ordered from a warehouse as there are still some in stock in our sizes, (275/40R17) but they no longer produce them....so for all you out there that use them, might wanna stock up!!

Comment

Must be a rumor or something going around....that or confliscting remarks made.....Dave Hamburger just posted this on Chirpthird:

According to the Bridgestone/Firestone North American Marketing Manager when I called to inqure about this, to quote him: "What the hell are you talking about?, we're not discontinuing production of that tire!"

Comment

Whew..... thought the world was going to end.

Comment

the slp rims are actually 9.25" wide. the 285's fit fine. 11" is way overkill for a 285 and spreads the sidewalls too much.
                            the Rubber Manuf. Association and the Tire and Rim Assoc. of America (which is the Bible of the tire industry) design rim width for the 285/40r17 is 10". the "rule of thumb" for a tire manuf. is 1/2" tolerance in either direction. that makes the spread at 9.5 to 10.5". 9.25 does fine. we check the contact patch and compared it to a 9.5 at the same PSI. perfect. the section width of the 285/40r17 is only .5" wider than the secton width of the 275/40r17...thats only .25" on each side of the tire......

go for it.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                            X