viper alarm upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viper alarm upgrade

I just found alarm in recently purchased 97 droptop.
    I talked to first owner that said he had a viper alarm with proximity sensor installed.
    Car came with factory keyless remote but i didnt get any of the viper keyfob/ remotes with car.
    Can I use a GM remote from one of my other GMs that have a factory alarm?
    Local installer wants $100 for 2 viper remotes.
    Other option is to buy a newer viper alarm ,unplug brain and replace with newer unit. Surely a complete system uninstalled isnt much more than installer wants for his remotes alone.

Find another dealer. $100 for two remotes is outrageous. As a matter of fact, call DEI (the maker of Viper) and find out what the suggested retail is on the remotes for your alarm. We used to sell them for $30 a piece when I was in retail sales, and that was only 3 years ago. They can't have gone up that much, unless it's one of those new alarms with the LCD screen on it or something.

Another option, contact the original owner and try to get the remotes from them.

Finally, the alarm may be an add-on type that uses your factory keyless. Find another shop and ask them what alarm you have and how it works. Circuit City or Best Buy is your best bet, because obviously the local shop's name is "Highway Robbery"
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Dealer said they would "upgrade" to a rattler with 2 new remotes and replace my viper 300+ brain only. cost $159.
      I would like to try and use GM remotes as I have 3 cars with GM remotes and it gets kinda confusing. With ability to store 4 remote codes in each car it could be done so that at least 2 cars can have 2 drivers using same remotes.
      Does GM use the rolling codes such as viper does.
      Ive heard the GM used DEI to make their systems but I always thought it was Lear.
      thanks for helping
      I asked 1st owner about the remotes.
      I think he kept them because he has another car with viper alarm.

Comment

It sounds to me like this dealer is doing whatever they can to sell you a whole new alarm. The Viper 300+ is the same alarm we were selling remotes for $30, so they are trying to stick it to you. Find somebody else.

DEI did not make the keyless in your car, that I am aware of. I don't believe they got the contract until 98, and actually started showing up in 99. To my knowledge, you cannot program a factory keyless remote to operate a 300+, as the systems require different remotes.

Comment

thanks,I found a remote at CC for $30 and asked if I could return it if my alarm doesnt work.
          They said 30 days so I need to get busy.
          I tried it tonight and it seems as tho either Im missing something or the alarm is wacked. I had pulled the fuse a couple of days ago when I found that alarm was still active(1st owner said he put it in valet) Now I cant get it to reset .
          I tried the procedure that is with remote for setting up new remotes but it doesnt respond the way the instructions say.
          I also found some sort of magnet inside the unit while looking for a valet programming switch. I think the magnet is suspended on rubber bands with arrow towards the black capacitor.
          It might help if I had a manual and could troubleshoot this whole mess.

Comment

That rubber band part is the shock sensor, and I wouldn't mess with that as it is very sensitive. When that shakes, it creates a current telling the alarm that somebody is hitting the car (trying to break windows, steal wheels, etc.). The valet switch should not be mounted on the brain, it will be a small black button usually in the footwell area, on the kick panel, or possibly in the glovebox or center console depending on how far they went with the install. If you can see the brain, look for a blue colored 2 pin plug on the side of it. If there is a plug in it, trace that wire down and you'll find your switch. If not, take it to CC and they will program it for free. It would be a lot easier if you let them do it anyway.

Comment

OK I ll try and take it to CC today.
              The valet switch is installed under dash but instructions with remote say that the valet has optional jumper that can be set to disable the programming mode .
              I found no such jumper and thats why i took the cover off.
              The magnet was stuck on the end of the black capacitor so I must have knocked it off when removing the cover.
              I put it back on the pegs as I thought it should be.
              An ideas on where to get a manual?
              thanks

Comment

You should be able to get a manual from CC. If they don't have any, ask them to call DEI's faxback system and have DEI fax you a copy of the original manual. DEI has manuals for every alarm they have ever sold available through their computer system, so the fax will be automatic.

This alarm you have sounds like the one I have in my car. However, mine does not have an internal shock sensor, it is separate from the brain. I have the pin jumper in mine as well, and it is specifically there to prevent somebody from taking a new remote and programming it to your alarm without actually accessing the brain (helps prevent theft). That might not have been the shock sensor. Make sure you show them what you are talking about and let them check it out to make sure everything is ok.

I would go to that other shop that tried to charge you an arm and a leg and tell them that you plan on reporting them to DEI. See what they say. If they are apologetic, cut them some slack. If they say "go ahead", then go ahead. DEI keeps records of that (or at least they used to).

Comment

I thought I was alone on this. I have 93 TA bought it back in may last year. Long story short, with further inspection I found a Viper alarm installen, Model 300, THe cable was unplugged when I plugged it in the alarm came alive, the car also came with the factory keyless entry and trunk, which worked on and off. When I took the brain to a local Circuit City they told me the model was too old the get a set of remote controls.. but you guys shed a new light on this subject.
                  1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                  "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

I have worked for 3 DEI certified dealers and am a Level 2 certified factory installer. There is no "too old to get remotes" because DEI sells remotes for the 300's still. As a matter of fact, you can still get the ones that you have to cut traces in (anybody remember the old Viper C30's? That's like 1995-1996). So I know you can still get them for the 300's cause that's a newer alarm.

If you guys are having trouble getting the local shop to order stuff for you, try somebody else. Make them prove to you that they can't get the parts. Every certified retail sales store has to have a DEI authorized price sheet with all of the available parts they can get. I guarantee you the remotes you need are in that book. If the shop is a total PITA, call DEI and find out if they are authorized to sell DEI products. If they are, file a complaint against the shop for failure of service. If the shop won't sell you what you need, you can probably buy it direct from DEI. If they can't sell it to you, then they can tell you who's nearby that can. A specialty part is going to be hard to get from Circuit City or Best Buy, because they only carry parts for alarms that they currently carry. You will more than likely have to go to a local shop to get that.

Comment

I did find out this much... there are several(3 that I know of ) remotes for a viper 300.
                      Look at the date code which is next to the tag stamped "OK" it will have a letter and number. Im assuming that its the year and month.
                      I think they started making these in 1995.
                      codes are
                      300+ 5L-7E REMOTE#492T
                      7F-8B REMOTE#491T
                      300+ HF 8B-UP REMOTE#471T

Hope this helps

Comment

I thik am wrong but the little arrow inside the stamp points to 92' and the other one to 12, December 12th. 1992 date of manufacture?? I guess it's litte outdated,
                        1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                        "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

No this will be a white paper sticker on the case with "OK" and xx next to it. You need the xx to find out which remote you need. Use the info I posted to cross over the 2 digit code .

Comment

alarm

you can find owner and installation guides on www.directed.com, also p/n for the remote
                            I found a valet keyless entry on my 93 trans am and I reinstalled it - i put the domeligt wire to the parking lights and when i unlock the car they stay on for about 30 secs. pretty cool, no?
                            93 t/a A4 3.23s
                            95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                            99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                            99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                            97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                            93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                            00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

The newer DEI stuff has a dedicated relay for that, called "delayed domelight". According to the way you worded it, your domelight flashes with your parking lights when you arm and disarm the system.

Comment

Working...
                              X