no wonder i was grinding gears!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no wonder i was grinding gears!!

ok i just got my car back from TRC transmissions and as i'm driving i notice that its alot harder to get into gear. its driviale but i grind gears more often. so i got fed up with it today and decided to investigate. i took out my center consol and the rubber boot (to keep out the elements) and low and behold 2 out of the 4 screts where just finger tight and sticking an inch up!! so i take them off and look if they cleaned the gasket rtv off. and of course they didnt. it was filthy and their was debrie in the transmission! i was so pissed. i'm starting to question if they even put a gasket around the bellhousing and engine!! so i'm going to go their tomarrow and ask them. and if they say no i will want them to install one. this should be standard right? to put a new gasket around the bellhousing? but i have a feeling they didnt put a gasket around the bell housing on my last one and thats why it got so oil soaked easily. any comments?
    1997 Camaro, Z-28, 5.7, Manual 6, K&N cold air intake, custom ram air scoop, ported MAF, Resonator plug, air foil, 160 thermostat, hypertech power programer 3, 3 inch cat-back exhaust, strut tower brace, K&N valve breather, centerforce dual friction clutch, slp short throw shifter, TNL short stick, O2 simulators, Next mod will be 1.6 rockers, pushrods, and springs. any reccomendations?

I may be showing my ignorance here, but a bellhousing gasket would be all new to me . I've yet to tear into anything and find a gasket between the block and tranny. Might be a good idea though now that you mention it....for the intake oil leak, vibration damping etc...

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

If you ask them if they put a gasket between the block and the bellhousing, they will probably treat you very politely and say no. Then they will go in the back room and laugh for a half hour! There is no such gasket. There is no need for a seal there. The engine and tranny do not share fluids.

However, I would bring it to their attention that they left the shifter bolts loose and there was crud inside the tranny. Thats just bad craftsmanship.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Sorry to get off topic. Hey Flash 97 WS/6, it looks like that hood you have is a Firehawk hood, not a WS6 hood. Notice how the openings are more oval than the square openings in N20LT4Bird WS6 hood. Maybe SLP gave you their Firehawk hood instead of the WS6 hood when they did the conversion. I've seen the WS6 hood on the Comp TA and the Firehawk, but never a Firehawk hood on a WS6. That must be pretty rare!

Comment

You guys are such ball busters, I love it
          1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

To Bond Hawk, I think what your seeing is just a light-trick, but it could be different? I had the Pontiac dealer get me a replacement hood from SLP about 1 month after buying the car new because of a small crack I found in the passenger side behind the headlight. Here's a close-up of the nostrils.

Note: it was raining lightly and my baffles are randomly drilled...kinda messy looking inside .

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

Working...
            X