CANT START MY 93 TRANS AM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CANT START MY 93 TRANS AM

The engine stopped as I was for the green light at a crossing(it was at idle).
    I tryed 7-8 times to start and it finally started. Then I drove for a while, but when I pushed the accelerator all the way, the engine almost stopped running and I could see the headlights flickering. When I accelerated slowly the engine revved up ok.I turned off the engine. I couldnt get it started since(8 months ago).
    I checked the spark -seems ok, i put a test light on the injectors connectors- seemed ok too. Checked the fuel pressure, but without a gage- pressing the schrader valve a little fuel came out, 10 cm up.
    Trying to start the car, some mechanics broke the fuel pump, and the starter motor runs slowly and noisy.
    What do you think the original problem was? A weak fuel pump or other problem(opti)?
    I live in europe and i cant find a mechanic who can fix mmy pontiac without breaking something else, so I have to do it myself. HELP

correct your all caps subject line for ya.
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Was the SES light on when it was running after it died the first time?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

ses light wasnt on

hi Jeff
      the ses light wasnt on
      I tryed to extract error codes and got , but after the battery was disconnected
      93 t/a A4 3.23s
      95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
      93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc

Comment

howdy. ta in europe!
        hey friend....please follow the rules. not typing in all caps.
        thanks.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Question: I'm thinking of shipping out my T/A to Greece over the Summer. Since our cars do not exist in Europe do you think I will get "special" attention from the euro drivers?
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

you will get special attention from chicks too
            this car will look like a monster on european roads
            What about registration while you are in europe?
            93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Yea that's what I figured. All of my cousins told me if I bring it there all I have to do is park it on the side of the road next to a club/cafe and stand next to it while I pick out which girl to take home.

About registration, my dad shipped his '88 Mercedes E300 to Greece 2 years ago. It costs $2,000.00 to ship from Chicago, to New York, to Greece with a ship, which takes 1 month. I also need a European Driver's license. I went to AAA and I registerd for a European Driver's Permit because they don't offer licenses which costed $50.00. It's good for 1 year and I have to purchase a different kind of Insurance thru Greece to cover and vandalism/theft/accidents. (knock on wood)

I'm seriously thinking about it. Would be a hella fun!

Hercules

Comment

true

thats true, but be careful about the girls. I got my car spray painted one night last summer and I wiped it off with gas for a couple of hours.
                93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

I've seen these conditions with two different outcomes. If your alternator is not putting out and battery voltage drops, the car may start cutting out. The same goes for lack of fuel due to a clogged filter or a fuel pump on it's way out. Difficult to diagnose without having hands on. Check for approximately 44 psi fuel pressure at the test port next to the pressure regulator. Check for at least 13.5 volts at the battery with engine running. That is at least a start.

Comment

Wouldn't this more likely be due to fuel delivery problems as opposed to battery/charging system? I ask this because I had alternator problems with a previous Camaro. The voltage regulator worked only intermittently. I would jump start the car and let it charge, then after removing the jumpers it would only run for a few minutes, then die, and not turn over (battery was drained). Wouldn't this be the case in this situatuion as well? If the alternator wasn't charging the battery, the car would die when it drained the battery, and then not turn over. I may be way off on this, and I yield to Joe's superior knowledge But seriously, is my reasoning off base in this situation?
                    98 Arrest Me Red Z28 - A4 with 2 washers and B&M SuperCooler, SLP CAI and airbox lid, K&N filter, smooth bellows, WS6 polished wheels (17" x 9"), Power Slot front rotors

Comment

Could be...... I'm just commenting on how I've seen insufficient voltage make a car's ignition system falter. Same goes for heat too soak too. Some ignition componants test fine when cool, when they heat up they are toast. But like I said before, difficult to say whayt it is without hands on diagnosis. Codes might help if there are any.

Comment

By the mere fact that you mentioned your headlights flickering, I also initially thought your problems might be alternator related.

Hey DJ, can I take my car and go with you to Greece and pick up some babes too!

Comment

Sure, fast ta!

You guys have no idea what our cars in Europe would do. Driving an F-body in Europe is like driving a Lamborghini in the States, because our cars do not exist in Europe. This is what I've been told from EVERYONE I asked that live in Europe.
                          Hercules

Comment

Yah man, Always wanted to take a brand new TA on the autobahn and give the german boys run for their money...with the loudest exhaust. Evryone knows camaros and vettes in europe, but the trans am is an exotic.
                            1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                            "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

autobahn

I went to germany with my trans am, you can go as fast as you want on some autobahns there .I went only 130- 135 mph ( my car is stock), bmw and mercedes got the hell out of my way
                              even when you are not driving fast they get out of your way
                              I saw only one 97+ trans am there, near the us army base i think
                              but enuogh about this , it makes me sad--i cant start my car now....it really sucks cause spring is coming

i canged the fuel filter , battery and alternator were ok
                              93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Working...
                              X