wheel bearing noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel bearing noise

Any history out there with wheel bearing noise?? At least I think that's what it is. A distinct rotational grinding sound (not associated with application of brakes) that gets louder as speed increases.

Any thots or experiecnes with this??
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Most likely tire noise. Bearing noise will increase as a load is applied like in a turn. Get up to highway speeds as as you take a left or right curve the bearing noise would increase.

Comment

tire noise? Interesting. I just put new rear tires on about 1,000 miles ago or so, and it started around that time. Never considered that as a possiblity
      2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Is the noise from the front or the rear?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

You could have a brake pad dragging? Is it a metal-to-metal type noise?

Comment

it's from the right rear. and it doesn't sound like brake noise because it's constant and gets louder with speed, and changes neither for the better or worse with increased or decreased pressure on the brake pedal. Suppose it could be a pad dragging, but would that just suddenly start up for no reason? I had that happen years ago on my astro van (log ago adn far, far away!!) but I coculd tell immediately that the brake caliper had clamped down on the pads and the rotor.

Comment

You said that you put new rear tires on. Did you go with a bigger size? Maybe your new rears are rubbing on the jounce bumper, have you checked?
              When I had my 285/40/17's on my car, they were very, very close to the jounce bumper.

Comment

Working...
              X