Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350 or 305????

I'm hoping for a little help.
    I'm am looking to buy a 1992 firebird formula from a guy who says it is a 350 with a throttle body....I thought a 350 in '92 had the TPI... Am I wrong in this assumption?? Is there any way to tell by looking at the engine, what size the engine is?
    Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Jeni

The 5.0 TPI and 5.7 TPI ( Tuned Port Injection) have intake runners on the sides, TBI ( THrottle body injection) looks just like the rochester quadra ject carb. but it has 2 inectors instead of float meetering system. Someone correct me if am wrong but there was never 350 with a TBI setup out of the factory for the 3rd gen.
    1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
    "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Could be that the previous owner went from 305 to a 350, that is what my brother did with his and kept the TBI.
      Chris

1991 Camaro 3.1 V6 pretty much stock

http://www.cardomain.com/id/clwilson

Comment

Originally posted by CLWILSON
        Could be that the previous owner went from 305 to a 350, that is what my brother did with his and kept the TBI.
        correct. The TBI cars got 305s. 350 was only available with the TPI. (like the vette got)

There is no way to visually tell a 305 block from a 350 block. If it has been replaced there should be paperwork. Unless the owner can produce proof, assume he is lying.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

thanks for the info, I'll go take a closer look tommorow

Comment

If it's stock, the 8th letter of the VIN will be "8" if it's the 350. If it was originally a 305and was converted than that won't help you. Look for the intake runners. If you're unsure and ave the capability of taking a digital pic and posting it here, someone can identify it for you I'm sure.
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I did some thinking about this Dave is righ on..

look at the vin code and see what it is first, then
              open the hood and see if it has TPI or not. Take a picture if you can.

Post your picture and the vin here and we will let you know what it most likely is.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                If it's stock, the 8th letter of the VIN will be "8" if it's the 350. If it was originally a 305and was converted than that won't help you. Look for the intake runners. If you're unsure and ave the capability of taking a digital pic and posting it here, someone can identify it for you I'm sure.
                FWIW, 305 and 350 TPIs were the EXACT same visually. Only diff was bigger injectors for the 350, and a different PROM IIRC.

Your only hope is the VIN #.
                my car:
                '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
                check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

I had really bad weather all day today, but I will try to get out there tommorrow to take a pic of the engine.
                  Thanks again for all of your input, i really appreicate it!

Comment

Working...
                  X