LT1 to LT4 conversion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1 to LT4 conversion?

I have a 95 camaro Z- i was thinking about getting the CMPP LT1 to LT4 conversion kit for my camaro. The guestion is will my powertrain handle the added horse and torque put out by this kit. Has anyone done it and what did they think? Does anyone know what rear wheel horse has actually been seen by this upgrade? Any problems?

95 Z28 LT1-morosso CAI, Vortech elbow, TB bypass, PP3, Borla exhaust, MSD coil and wires, Lakewood LCA's
    I LOVE COBRA'S -
    THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Go up to the top right and hit search. Type in conversion and check out all of the threads on this topic. We've beat it to death here. LOL
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

i assume you will go with the hot cam and not the normal lt4 cam, right?

your powertrain will be fine.

about 400hp at the flywheel......give and take. get a 52mm tb also. and use the extreme duty timming chain and gear set if its not part of the kit.. if you are doing all that..you might as well do headers while you are at it. change your opti. dont forget..without proper pcm programming...you wont get the bennies. Ed Wright is who i recommend. you can ship it to him listing all the mods and he'll set it up..ship it back..plug it in and go get em.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Auto or M6. The M6 can handle quite a bit of HP. The 4L60E is limited in stock form as to how much HP it can handle. With a good shift kit or firmed up shifts via reprogramming the line pressure, a 4L60E will handle around 450 flywheel HP. It can actually handle more but it will significantly decrease it's life. For that matter even 450 HP will decrease it's life somewhat.

I was making 417 rwhp through a stock 4L60E with firmed up shifts via a HPP3 and it lasted about a year before I smoked the 3-4 clutch!

The weak point you need to address would be the stock 7.5" rear end. I have seen them break at less than 340 rwhp.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
          Auto or M6. The M6 can handle quite a bit of HP. The 4L60E is limited in stock form as to how much HP it can handle. With a good shift kit or firmed up shifts via reprogramming the line pressure, a 4L60E will handle around 450 flywheel HP. It can actually handle more but it will significantly decrease it's life. For that matter even 450 HP will decrease it's life somewhat.

I was making 417 rwhp through a stock 4L60E with firmed up shifts via a HPP3 and it lasted about a year before I smoked the 3-4 clutch!

The weak point you need to address would be the stock 7.5" rear end. I have seen them break at less than 340 rwhp.
          aint that the truth. ive seen a stock LT1 break one...the guy put slicks on..........second time down the track..when he launched.....it grenaded..........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

next question

whats kind of rear will i need to handle the power, just gears or a whole housing and gutts
            I LOVE COBRA'S -
            THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

GM 12 bolt - 8.875" should be fine.

Comment

Working...
              X