Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you tell if you have a Limited Slip without looking at the diff.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you tell if you have a Limited Slip without looking at the diff.

I was wondering how you could tell if you had a limited slip diff.?

Sorry for all the questions, but it has been bugging me since I got my Camaro...

I told some body this, "When I go to make a sharp turn to the left or the right and go down on the gas a little hard you can hear my rear wheels spin a little..." Thay said that I had one, but I don't have the AGR button on my dash, however, I do have the SGS button... But that is my second gear start button...

How can that be or was he wrong?

I don't know the code for the posi, but if you jack the rear tires off the ground on a car (block the front wheels & put it in neutral) turn one wheel and if the other wheel turns the same direction it is a posi. If it turns the opposite direction it is an open diff. While you're at it you can figure the ratio by counting the number of driveshaft turns per one wheel turn.

The codes are in the glove box to tell you what you got, but I don't have it handy although it gets posted every couple weeks.

Comment

I know my rear gear ratio because I have the window sticker and it says that I have the 3.42:1 Gear ratio... But it doesn't list things like my SGS and a possible Limited Slip...

Since I am the second owner, I think that the first drag raced my car because the air filter was missing when I got it.

Comment

Look at the sticker in the glovebox

G80 = limited slip

Or.... just do a burnout and see if there are 2 marks.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

what sticker in the glove box, I looked and there is not one...

Comment

hm... cant find it?

Mine is in the passenger side glove box in the dash. Did you look in the center console? It might be there.. Or on the inner door jamb of the drivers door.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I think on late model year production 1997 and later they stopped putting the RPO label in the glovebox.

It will be on the driver's door on a 01.

Comment

my 97 has it on the drivers door jam
                Dave M
                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Spin the tires.

96 TA Sold!
                  87 TA Sold!
                  80 Z28 Sold!
                  74 Formula Sold!
                  73 Z28 Sold!
                  69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Working...
                  X