Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tires Arrived

Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP 285/40ZR17
    They are fun to roll in, climb on and make a great castle.
    Anyone want these extra kids that came with them?

The guy at the tire place i took the tires and the 17x9.5 rims to for mounting and balancing asked me what kind of car I'd be puting them on. I told him my 1994 Z28 ragtop and he said they wont fit. I told him to do it anyway, I know they fit. Duh.

Geesh... I had these same rims and tires on my 95.
    Now the test... can they do it without screwing it up. I was carefull to tell him they are directional and need to be static balanced. I also asked nicely to please not scratch them.

It is a Firestone tire outlet... I hope they can mount my firestone tires without making a mistake. (cross your fingers)

Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

LOL!! Nice picture!

Try them on the car. Trust me...they're more fun when they're mounted. I've got a set (255/50) and I love'em!
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Of course the tires won't fit, they have kids inside of them.

Hey Tracy by the time you finish ordering parts for you droptop, you will have your own orphanage!!

Let's see some pics once the wheels/tires are mounted.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to picking them up tomorrow. I'm going to clean the shop dirt from them and take some more pics to post.

Then... I'll go jack up the car, place it on stands and remove the salad shooters. I'm going to detail the wheelwells and inspect the brakes/ balljoints/tierod ends. Once everything is set, I'll bolt on the new wheels.

One question...
        Will I need to grind the ring out of the rear rims where the axle hub fits in? I recall having to do this with the ZR1s I had on my 95 back in the day. Those were real OEM ZR1s... these are replicas. BUT.. it looks like they have the same raised rings in them as the OEM ones did.

Anyone know?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

You have kids and can afford to buy tires? LOL!
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
            You have kids and can afford to buy tires? LOL!
            no joking! in home childcare is a killer! But... the kids love it and you cant beat someone coming and watching them at home.

we got the kids new shoes, so I looked at the Z and said "baby needs new shoes" *presto* there were 4 firestone "shoes" on the doorstep!
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ

One question...
              Will I need to grind the ring out of the rear rims where the axle hub fits in? I recall having to do this with the ZR1s I had on my 95 back in the day. Those were real OEM ZR1s... these are replicas. BUT.. it looks like they have the same raised rings in them as the OEM ones did.

Anyone know?
              ???
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:

Comment

I just put 17x9.5 zr1s with sz50ep's on my 94 z28 yesterday fits like a glove. I get pics up as soon as i can find a place to host them. Yahoo briefcase doesnt allow posting for some reason.

How much did you pay for your wheels with shipping?

Comment

You may have to grind the rear hubs, why would you grind the wheels? Grind the rear hubs so you can rotate the tires instead of grinding all 4 rims this way you will not have to worry about it any more when you get different rims. My ZR1s went on with no alterations needed.

P.S. I have the exact same combo as you for my street setup; chrome ZR1 wheels and 285/40/17 SZ50's

KnightFire
                  1993 Formula Firebird
                  Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                    no joking! in home childcare is a killer! But... the kids love it and you cant beat someone coming and watching them at home.

we got the kids new shoes, so I looked at the Z and said "baby needs new shoes" *presto* there were 4 firestone "shoes" on the doorstep!
                    I Wish I had that a few years back. Daycare ran me $120 a week. Although it was a private school and considered it worth every penny, it was a great day when he entered public school. BTW, got my SZ50EPs last week. They are safe and snug, tucked away in the garage until the current ones wear out.

Comment

Tracy-

I recall Fred saying something about grinding the centers out but I think he was referring to factory rims. Your aftermarket ones probably won't need it.

96 TA Sold!
                      87 TA Sold!
                      80 Z28 Sold!
                      74 Formula Sold!
                      73 Z28 Sold!
                      69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Originally posted by Bojangles1432

How much did you pay for your wheels with shipping?
                        550 at my door
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          I Wish I had that a few years back. Daycare ran me $120 a week.
                          try 400 a week.
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                            I Wish I had that a few years back. Daycare ran me $120 a week. .
                            so the medication took effect? now you only need a part time nurse to see you twice a week, right?

d&r............................

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                              so the medication took effect? now you only need a part time nurse to see you twice a week, right?
                              As long as she is blonde, 19, has huge jugs and and give good spongebaths I'll approve. I can think of worse things in life.
                              Tracy
                              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                              Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
                              X