Uh Oh! Ticking sound....suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh Oh! Ticking sound....suggestions?

Just noticed this this evening. There's a ticking sound coming from the engine compartment. Sounds like it's in an area around the rear of the block driver's side. Frequency is about 5 ticks per second at idle....any faster and the exhaust starts to drown it out. I know my engine, and I know this isn't normal.

Only thing I've done recently is to put some fuel injector cleaner in this morning with a fillup, but it's never caused anything like this before.

Any suggestions as to what it could be?

I don't want to drive it any more than necessary, but I have a 40 mile drive I have to do tomorrow. Guess I better get a hold of that government car first thing tomorrow to do that drive.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Injector? n/m

blank

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

maybe the starter? gonna have to ask a more knowligible person..
      http://www.hrgarage.cjb.net
      Wait, you drive a what...

Comment

Me too

I,ve had the tick for over a year and 24,000 miles I have 121,000 on the car. It's under valve cover lifters, spring etc..or it's your injectors. Get 1 of those stethoscope and listen to diferent parts or pull off valve cover. I've had my car on a dyno,7 runs and 2 runs at the track and the sound hasn't changed. I wouldn't mind if the engine let go...time for a crate motor
        96TA

Comment

My old 93 would have a tick that came and went. A fresh oil change would make it go away for a while so it makes me think something with the lifters causing a valve tap. It bugged me, but it never hurt the performance of the car so I got used to it. These engines are noisy engines and I'm surprised you didn't have a noise sooner.
          69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
          70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
          2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

damn nice car badtabird....what does it do in teh 1/4 mile?
            http://www.hrgarage.cjb.net
            Wait, you drive a what...

Comment

Could also be a slight exhaust manifold leak. Sometimes they can almost sound mechanical. A scanner would help to see if the computer is adjusting timing or fuel. I would want to check 02 counts and knock retard. Inconsistant 02s from one bank to the other could point to an exhaust leak, valve leak or collapsed lifter killing combustion in one cylinder. The mechanic's stethescope can also help narrow down the problem. It's a tough diagnosis without being there in person.

Comment

1/4 mile

StangEatr damn nice car badtabird....what does it do in teh 1/4 mile?
                Not as good as I like. I've only run a few times and everytime hot and humid.
                14.3 @ 98 . I've allready put just around $5K into car(hood,paint and suspension) and only a few hundred in motor. Gears are next (I have 2:73 now) to 3:73. Then comes the powerplant.
                96TA

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys....I've had a manifold leak before, and I know how it can sound. It may be just that, but it's still hard to say. Just by listening I can isolate it to near the back of the engine on the drivers side. O2 counts and knock retard should be fairly easy to check. I'll be easy on the engine until then.
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD
                  Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I had the same problem...it was 2 busted pistons, LOL...I HOPE its not the same for you.

KnightFire
                    1993 Formula Firebird
                    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

UPDATE....

Problem found and fixed. It was a %$@$% exhaust leak right at the headers. That would be my second in the last year. I'm glad it wasn't the valvetrain, but geez, if I have another one I'm going to be really peeved...
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                        UPDATE....

Problem found and fixed. It was a %$@$% exhaust leak right at the headers. That would be my second in the last year. I'm glad it wasn't the valvetrain, but geez, if I have another one I'm going to be really peeved...

(In the voice of Grand Jedi Master Yoda) " Eh, Told you, I did."

Don't feel bad bro, I've seen it too many times.

Comment

Working...
                        X