97 Z28 Camaro Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Z28 Camaro Questions

My 1997 Z28 is stock right now. I have a K&N cold air kit, American Thunder cat back 3" in and 2 1/2 dual out, underdrive pulleys, hypertech programmer, and polished aluminum intake elbow. Im going to put it all on within the next week or two when I get some time. How much of a difference should that make? I heard that the power programmer has a shift firmness program and I heard that it shifts as hard as a shift kit would, is that true? Also I read that my car has a 2:73 gear, what kind of gear should i put in it next? I was thinking about a 3:73 with drag radials, do you think that would hook it?Thanks.
    1997 Z28 Camaro. Addicted to Adrenaline!

Prolly won't need DR's until you get a stall convertor. My 2800 stall and 3.42 gears hook acceptably on street tires with basically the same mods you have. If you cant hook, you can always remove the swaybars at the track. I've always been hesitant to put drag tires on fairly stock motors- a lot of the time it slows them down on the top end of the quarter.

Comment

Every car reacts differantly to mods I've heard in order to get much out of and aftermarket exaust with an F-Body its best to do headers with it. If you do headers with your other mods could be anywhere from 20-30+ hp. Thats just a guess.

You can identify your gears by looking at the spid label in your glove box if it say GU2 you have 2.73's. Switching to 3.73's should greatly improve your off the line preformance. I havn't done it yet but its one of the most cost effective and noticable mods.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
      2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Yeah, I have a 2:73 gear. Thats alot of gear. I think 3:73 would help off the line because now when im at the track the motor bogs a little off the line so I know im loosing time. I ran a 14.08, 14.12, 14.15, and 14.19 in the quarter @100 and 101mph. I was told that my E.T. is good to be a stock car. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Detroit_Bird, have you ran your car in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile. If so what were your times becuse I am wanting to run at least 8:90's in the 1/8 and 13.90's in the 1/4. Do you think that will be possible with what im about to do to my car?

Comment

Has anyone heard anything about the Hypertech Programmers?

Comment

Everything I've heard about Hypertech leads me to believe it's not worth the money and only provides a very minimal performance gain.

You'd probably be better off having programming done by PCMFORLESS or one of the other programmers. It's less expensive and pulling/installing the PCM is very easy. I did a core exchange when I had mine done.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
              X