Dual to single

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual to single

Is it possible to convert a dual cat system to a single cat system?
    1997 Z28, A4 with transgo shift kit, beast shell, corvette servo, etc..., 160stat, CAI, Borla Exhaust, Richmond 3:73 gears, Tune by MadZ28.com

Everything's possible. You would just have to switch to the single cat type YP. I think GM made better power with their dual cat setup. Any reason why you want to go with a single cat setup?

Comment

Re: Dual to single

Originally posted by B.S.97z
      Is it possible to convert a dual cat system to a single cat system?
      I'm not sure why you would want to do this because the single cat cars were 10hp less than the dual cat cars.

The only thing I can think of is the after cat O2 sensor. The dual cat cars have 2 OT sensors and the single cat cars has a single sensor. Since yours has 2 sensors I guess you will either have to get simulators for them of weld on a nut in the exhaust pipe to put the second sensor in. I'm also not sure if the wires for them would reach the right spot with the later.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

The obvious advantage of switching to a single-cat system would be the wider selection of headers that really work. Trying to put headers on the stock dual cat system is pretty much a waste of time. I think SLP is the only choice left, after AS&M gave up on the dual-cat design.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yes it's possible, here's what's involved. The factory dual cat manifolds are different than the single cat manifolds, the Y pipe is different. you will need to either have a custom Y pipe made to mateto the dual cat manifolds or change the manifolds (headers too). The problem between the two is that GM redesigned the joint configurations and they don't interchange. If you went with headers, the appropriate Y pipe with it and sims for the rear 02 sensors will work if you aren't planning on running cats. If you are going to run a cat, you really should convert the car to OBD1 which only used 1 post cat sensor.

Comment

Just curious. I was planning to put my cats back on, so I bought 2 magnaflow converters. When I went to the muffler shop the man said that he could only put the passenger side cat on and that I would have to get the factory cat for the driver side because of how it was shaped. He said he did not recommend just putting 1 cat on. So that got me thinking, for the cost of the new converter from the dealership I could buy a set of headers and run 1 cat if possible. Also, what is involved and what are the advantages in converting to an OBD1?
            1997 Z28, A4 with transgo shift kit, beast shell, corvette servo, etc..., 160stat, CAI, Borla Exhaust, Richmond 3:73 gears, Tune by MadZ28.com

Comment

Working...
            X