Anyone have XM radio?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have XM radio?

Do you guys like it? I am thinking about getting it. I work at Circuit City, so my discount on this stuff is pretty good
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Yep, I have it in my burban. I got the Sony reciever, should have gotten the delphi one, the sony shuts off every hour, so you have to touch a button on it to restart it..... takes a bit of time to reboot.

I got it to listen to talk radio, since the am signal would crap out on me traveling western michigan..... but it still doesn't have Rush Limbaugh.

Sound quality is excellent, and the music channels are good with no commercials. Check the program channels for your favorites to see if they will work for you. The opera channel is great! It drives my wife and kids nuts when I sing along.

see ja!
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Yes, XM radio is great... I never get bored... So much music...

One suggestion, if you get it, don't use FM modulation... The sound can only then be as good as a radio station. XM's quality is actually much better.. If you get the universal receivers, see if you can hook it up through auxiliary inputs instead of the modulation (if you have an aftermarket CD player). I personally have an Alpine CD player and run XM on Ai-Net... Sounds great...
      1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

XM is way cool. I just can't justify it for the 15-20 minute commute I have.

FYI the company I work for makes the HPOA (High Power Output Amplifier) for the XM satellites. http://www.emsstg.com/space_sol/high..._combiners.asp A few months ago, XM contacted us to make 2 more HPOAs for 2 more birds so they are here to stay. I don't have any idea how Sirus is doing but get XM because it supports me. LOL
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by immgeorge
          Yes, XM radio is great... I never get bored... So much music...

One suggestion, if you get it, don't use FM modulation... The sound can only then be as good as a radio station. XM's quality is actually much better.. If you get the universal receivers, see if you can hook it up through auxiliary inputs instead of the modulation (if you have an aftermarket CD player). I personally have an Alpine CD player and run XM on Ai-Net... Sounds great...
          They suggested I hardwire it to my antenna or something like that -- rather than broadcasting a signal inside the car. I will still be tuning to an FM frequency to pick up the FM signal. I still have the stock Monsoon head-unit.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

I love it too. There's always something great to listen to.

I have a pioneer head unit that is XM ready.
            Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

I was working in the Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia area and a coworker had a rental car with Satellite Radio. He said it cut in and out in certain areas on the way to work.

I know regular FM does this but how bad is it with XM? Does it work in Canada too or only US?
              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I have had XM for almost a year. I have never had it cut out except for the expected bridges and tunnels... Metro areas with tall buildings pose problems for reception too... Other than that, I have been all over the southeast and have never lost reception.

Sorry Black97, but XM is US only. Although, if you live near the border, XM signals can be picked up....
                1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

What about Sirius? Anyone have any experiences with it?

Comment

I wanna get one here soon. Where are you guys mounting this thing in your f-bodies..if anyone can provide pics I'd like to see them. Thanks! I'd hate to get a toy that is cool but detracts from the car...
                    -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
                    98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
                    98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
                    94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by pete

I got it to listen to talk radio, since the am signal would crap out on me traveling western michigan..... but it still doesn't have Rush Limbaugh.
                      Another AM840 fan!! AWSOME!
                      99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

I've thought about it, but im impartial to mounting the antenna, I would get the little short one, but still, where to put it? The only place I came up with that would look decent would be center behind the t-tops on that big plastic piece above the rear window.
                        2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
                        Traded in: 1998 Z28
                        http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

The reason I won't get it is because I can remember when FM didn't have commercials, and when Cable TV didn't have commercials. I figure it's just a matter of time before they get greedy and wreck it.

Comment

XM just recently went back to commercial free on all music stations due to the complaints from listeners. They will NOT return to commercials on music stations any time soon. I have it in my work truck, and can move the brain to my car at will. I don't listen to FM or AM anymore, EVER. It stays on XM.

As far as antenna mounting goes, Delphi's little roady deal comes with a perfect antenna. It is about the size of credit card and about as thick as 4 quarters. If you mount it on the roof on the panel behind the t-tops, it looks factory. It is the smallest satellite radio antenna you can get, bar . Now if Delphi would just start selling them individually, they could make billions. Right now the only way to get it is to buy the kit, which is like $80.
                            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Camaro4-2 I wanna get one here soon. Where are you guys mounting this thing in your f-bodies..if anyone can provide pics I'd like to see them. Thanks! I'd hate to get a toy that is cool but detracts from the car...

You could mount it inside the tape/cd holder below the radio.

I'll sell you my Sony setup (car and home). I'm in town now, so I haven't really been using it much. If you are interested, send me an e-mail.
                              The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Working...
                              X