NFB: Shake during deceleration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: Shake during deceleration

My friend has a 97-98 (he doesn't recall which) Ford Taurus with 95k miles and hasn't had so much as a tune up. The car runs normally, except when you let off the gas you can feel the gas pedal vibrate (more noticeable when going uphill). The car itself doesn't feel like it shakes, and you can't hear anything different, just a shaking or vibrating at the gas pedal. The SES light has come on, for which he had it scanned, and was told it was the O2 sensor. The SES light coming on and vibration did not begin at the same time.

Any thoughts on what it might be, or where to start looking for the problem (other than changing the O2 sensor, could the two problems be related?)?

Thanks!
    98 Arrest Me Red Z28 - A4 with 2 washers and B&M SuperCooler, SLP CAI and airbox lid, K&N filter, smooth bellows, WS6 polished wheels (17" x 9"), Power Slot front rotors

95k miles and no tune up. I think every body here will say start with a tune up. I don't know if it has them or not but if it does, replace the wires and distributor cap. Clean or replace the PCV valve. Don't forget the air filter. Most manuals will say replace the O2 sensors at 100k miles. I'd do a tune up first and see what happens.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Re: NFB: Shake during deceleration

Originally posted by pugmire
      My friend has a 97-98 (he doesn't recall which) Ford Taurus with 95k miles and hasn't had so much as a tune up. The car runs normally, except when you let off the gas you can feel the gas pedal vibrate (more noticeable when going uphill). The car itself doesn't feel like it shakes, and you can't hear anything different, just a shaking or vibrating at the gas pedal. The SES light has come on, for which he had it scanned, and was told it was the O2 sensor. The SES light coming on and vibration did not begin at the same time.

Any thoughts on what it might be, or where to start looking for the problem (other than changing the O2 sensor, could the two problems be related?)?

Thanks!
      Is his car manual or auto? Sounds drivetrain related if it is occuring during deceleration.

Comment

It is an auto (A4 I think). It happens after giving the car gas to speed up, then letting off the gas pedal to slow down a bit or just maintain speed.
        98 Arrest Me Red Z28 - A4 with 2 washers and B&M SuperCooler, SLP CAI and airbox lid, K&N filter, smooth bellows, WS6 polished wheels (17" x 9"), Power Slot front rotors

Comment

Working...
        X