Camaro Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro Problem

On Saturday I was driving my Camaro and came to a stop sign. When I stopped my car cut off without any warning. When It started back up I heard a clunk from under the hood. After that I didnt hear anything else so when I started to accelerate I noticed a bad vibration. Now every once in a while I hear a metal to metal sound like something spinning and catching on something. Has anyone ever heard of this happening. Does anyong know if a cracked flexplate would cause this or how likely it would be for a flexplate to crack?
    1997 Z28 Camaro. Addicted to Adrenaline!

throw a pushrod? thats what mine sounded like.
    ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

Comment

I've never really seen a flexplate crack but I have seen 'em bend before. In a chevy automatic you can leave the bellhousing shield off and it is possible to get something you run over stuck in there and spun around where it bends the plate. This happened to a buddy with a 75 vette. Dunno if your in the habit of leaving your shield off or not but thought I'd throw this in.

Comment

Usually a cracked flexplate will make a knocking sound almost like a high pitched rod knock. Could be many things causing your clunk. Very hard to diagnose over the web.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Well, I found out what the problem was. I transmission split in half. I was told that It would cost more to rebuild my transmission than to buy a new one. Does anyone know how hard or how much work it would take to put a standard transmission in a camaro set up for an automatic?
          1997 Z28 Camaro. Addicted to Adrenaline!

Comment

Working...
          X