Starting Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Problem

Okay, I was working on my TBI (throttle body injection) unit today. I put it back on the car and started the car to get it out of the garage. I shut off the car because I was getting a DTC. I got the trouble code (code 33-vacuum leak), fixed it, and then tried to start the car. The starter engaged, turned the flywheel, and tried to start but didn't. I tried again but gave it gas but it did the same thing. Now every time I try to start it it gets worse. The solenoid will engage but not turn, and now it just makes a noise. I tried to jump start it but it still did the same thing (only make a noise). The inside lights work and the headlights work but stall for a second and then come on. I think I might need a new alternator (or battery?) but I am not sure. When the car is key on, engine off the volt gauge says about 11.5V. I don't know what to do , please help!!
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

The volt gauge reads 10.5V, sorry.

CarDomain Site

Comment

you may need a new starter. If you tried to jump it and that didn't work (assuming you jumped it correctly) that makes me think it's the starter, especially since you said it had been getting worse. If it was the battery, the jump start would worked. If it was the alternator, you would've been able to jump it but it would've died again shortly after disconnecting the cables. My money is on the starter. (You're battery may also now be drained from trying to start it, but a jump should work once you fix the problem).
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Now that i think about it I did something stupid. I was always told to put the black jumper cable of the dead vehicle to a solid ground (engine block, body). I put it on a shock tower nut. Probably not a good idea. I am going to try and jump start it again tomorrow and check all the small stuff (fuses,etc.).

CarDomain Site

Comment

The starter is fairly new (2 or 3 months). I know that doesn't mean too much but it might help.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Putting the cable to a shock tower nut shouldn't have caused any problems. I've put them there before without any problems. Check your fuses to be sure, but my money is on the starter.
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I checked the fuses this morning, they are all fine. I am going to buy a new battery and battery cables (I have a hunch) and if that doesn't work I am going to get the starter tested. Thanks for your help, everyone.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Sounds like it could just be a dead battery- 10.5V is way too low- batteries should be around 12.5V. Try to start with your headlights on, and if they go out or very dim when you try to crank her over, you have a dead battery. Sometimes if theyre really dead they can be hard to jump.

Comment

I fixed it. I bought new battery cables and installed them and add distilled water to the battery and it started right up. Whew! I was worried there for a while. Thanks everybody, I owe you one.

CarDomain Site

Comment

congrats

Comment

Working...
                    X