Speed Density

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Density

I've got a Tpi 88 Cam that I wanna convert from mass air to speed density but I don't know how to.
    88 z28 Cam 305 V8 TBI
    79 z28 Cam 350 (still in the works)
    88 i-roc Z28 Cam 350 Tpi
    Keith

Isnt the MAF system better?

Could you explain your goals? Why would you want to do this, and maybe someone will have an answer.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

try www.thirdgen.org
      Lots of guys over there have made the swap and can help you out. They may even have a tech article on the site about the swap.
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Im kinda curious as to why someone would do this also- I thought mass air allowed you to run a more aggressive cam because of it's improved intake air monitoring.

Comment

The 3rd Gen Bosch MAF sensors are total "crap".... they flow poorly, they die, the burnoff relay causes problems..... only the new GM design, used on the 4th Gens has the accuracy and reliability to make things work correctly.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
            The 3rd Gen Bosch MAF sensors are total "crap".... they flow poorly, they die, the burnoff relay causes problems..... only the new GM design, used on the 4th Gens has the accuracy and reliability to make things work correctly.
            Ahh, yes... burnoff problems. I had those problems in my 88 Iroc 5.7. It sucked. Can a GM MAF from a 4th gen be used instead?

I had another thought, maybe he wants to mount a filter directly to the TB and the MAF is spoiling his plans?
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I had another thought, maybe he wants to mount a filter directly to the TB and the MAF is spoiling his plans?
              I'm probably not remembering my 3rd gen days 100% correctly but I believe wanting some sort of ram air effect is the main reason for going speed density. Also, if the engine is moving so much air that the MAf becomes a restriction... could be a reason.
              Dave M

Comment

Yeah basically I just wanna put an air filter directly on and the Maf sensor isn't workin any ways and I'm chisty and wanna see which would be more cost enficient cause I'm broke. Also I don't like the massive amounts of black smoke everywhere I've been gettin since my Maf sensor went out but it passed inspection like that on the 3rd try so all well.
                88 z28 Cam 305 V8 TBI
                79 z28 Cam 350 (still in the works)
                88 i-roc Z28 Cam 350 Tpi
                Keith

Comment

Originally posted by 88Cam
                  Yeah basically I just wanna put an air filter directly on and the Maf sensor isn't workin any ways and I'm chisty and wanna see which would be more cost enficient cause I'm broke. Also I don't like the massive amounts of black smoke everywhere I've been gettin since my Maf sensor went out but it passed inspection like that on the 3rd try so all well.
                  I'd bet it is less expensive to replace the MAF than to convert to speed density. I'd strongly suggest repairing it.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:

Comment

1. A 4th Gen MAF is not compatible with a 3rd Gen ECM. No interchangeability. One puts out variable "volts"... the other variable "frequency".

2. The 3rd Gen MAF is a MAJOR flow restriction, including two "screens", one on the inlet and one on the outlet, and a bunch of internal cooling fins that were supposedly added after a sensor died while GM was testing the car in 140degF Death Valley weather. It is possible to remove both screen and the internal cooling fins and increase the flow capability of the MAF by about 30%.

3. Check with someone knowledgeable in 3rd Gen PCM's. In the 4th Gen, it is entirely possible to switch the stock PCM between mass-air and speed-density. There is full speed-density "default" capability in the event the MAF fails. Might want to see if the 3rd Gen ECM has the same capability. If you are pouring outblack smoke, you may have a problem with the MAP sensor or MAT sensor, both of which are critical to speed-density.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I'm pretty sure 3rd gen car do NOT default to speed density in the event of a MAF failure. There is no MAP sensor on a 3rd gen MAF car. If the MAf fails, you get extremely poor driveability, and stalling if the car runs at all. I know from experience
                      Dave M

Comment

This was brought up on our SD forum:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/ecm_swap_730/

HTH

KnightFire
                        1993 Formula Firebird
                        Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Working...
                        X