Quick cam question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick cam question

I just ordered the LT1 Power Package from Edelbrock. I still have yet to order rockers for it. I read an article regarding stamped roller tip rockers vs. full roller rockers and it seemed from the article that the roller tip rockers work better. With that aside, the only thing left to choose is the ratio, of course minding piston clearance for an otherwise stock LT1.

The specs on the cam are here: Cam specs for part number 2108

I was wondering if it's safe to go with the 1.6 or stay with the 1.5?

Any help would be great!
    1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

I have the LT-4 hot cam setup which included the 1.6 roller rockers........be good for the last 5k. I got it from Dal Salbaugh as a GM performance package.
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Re: Quick cam question

Originally posted by FireFinder20
      I just ordered the LT1 Power Package from Edelbrock. I still have yet to order rockers for it. I read an article regarding stamped roller tip rockers vs. full roller rockers and it seemed from the article that the roller tip rockers work better. With that aside, the only thing left to choose is the ratio, of course minding piston clearance for an otherwise stock LT1.

The specs on the cam are here: Cam specs for part number 2108

I was wondering if it's safe to go with the 1.6 or stay with the 1.5?

Any help would be great!
      The additional lift generated by the 1.6 rr ratio will not cause a piston to valve clearance issue. The issue you need to address if you decide on 1.6 rr's is the stock valve springs. The additional compression of the stock valve spring due to the increased ratio will put the stock valve spring very close to coil bind.

A stronger spring not only helps to alleviate this problem but also helps to eliminate valve float which is a push rod's worst nightmare!

Comment

1.6s it is!

aren't the springs on the new head better than stock? I've never purchased aftermarket heads before....
        1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

Comment

I'm not quite familiar with the Edelbrock LT1 power packaage. Do you know any specs on the heads?

Comment

Doesn't give spring rates...

Int. port vol: 170cc

Exh. port vol: 60cc

Chamb. vol: 54cc

Deck thickness: 5/8"

Int. valve size: 1.940"

Exh. valve size: 1.55"

Valve spring dia: 1.45"

Rocker stud dia: 3/8"

Pushrod dia.(A): 5/16"

Max. Valve Lift: .600"

Bolt Torque (G) 65 ft/lbs

*(A) Width of slot in guide plate
            *(G) Head bolt torque in ft/lbs; studs use manufacturer’s specs (see instructions for lube/sealer)

I hope that's helpful...

Comment

If the springs are rated at .600" of lift then they will be fine with the 1.6 rr's.

Comment

Great! Thank you for the info, I would hate to spend all this loot, just to screw it up

I'll post once everything is installed!

Comment

Originally posted by FireFinder20
                  Great! Thank you for the info, I would hate to spend all this loot, just to screw it up

I'll post once everything is installed!
                  screwed it up anyway and blew the motor...without installing the &%$@# cam!

Comment

What happened?

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

use 1.6~gunter

1996 Trans Am WS6 #34
                      http://www.cardomain.com/id/gunter96ws6

Comment

Yeah, what happened!

Comment