Weird cam rumor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird cam rumor

I have heard that with lt1 cars you can take the front bumper cover off and slip a cam in with relativly no problem. Does anybody know about this or should i make fun of the people that told me this. thanks tom
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

I know people that put the cam in by removing the radiator and fans. It is suprissing how much room there is with that stuff out of there.

Maybe by removing the bumper cover you can get a better angle on the cam to get it in. ??

I don't know I have never heard that before though.

Randy
    99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
    93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

You don't have too, only extra work. The biggest challenge apparently is the AC condensor, which can be postioned up and out of the way without being disconnected.

I have only read about it, so maybe others can gives you pics and details.

Sean

You can make fun of their poorly aligned front end pieces after they removed it unnecessarily
      1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

No, you do not have to remove the bumper cover. Never heard or saw that before. You do have to get everything in front of the motor out of the way, but that's it.

Comment

Its possible to change a cam with the motor in the car but you still have the radiator and condenser to remove and in certain cars the radiator support itself may be in the way. You still have to remove a lot from the motor to change the cam (intake, rockers, timing components, water pump, etc), and IMO it probably is just easier to pull the motor

Comment

Some have been able to pull the ac condenser out of the way, but when I did it it looked an aweful lot like the tubes would be damaged, so I unhooked everything and pulled it out. Believe it or not, with the water pump, rad, and ac condenser off the car, you can stand in the engine bay with your feet on the floor.

Comment

Working...
            X