few tune up questions....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• few tune up questions....?

before i bring my bird back out for the good weather i bought some tune up parts including,fuel injector cleaner,new fuel filter,new pcv valve,

im getting a trans flush, but should i get a power flush and filter change, or just have the fluid drained and filter changed?

and ac delco professional platinum plugs,what are the best ways to go about changing the plugs?any hints or easy ways to go about it?

by the way this is on my 94 firebird formula LT1
    1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Re: few tune up questions....?

Originally posted by redbird94
    before i bring my bird back out for the good weather i bought some tune up parts including,fuel injector cleaner,new fuel filter,new pcv valve,

im getting a trans flush, but should i get a power flush and filter change, or just have the fluid drained and filter changed?

and ac delco professional platinum plugs,what are the best ways to go about changing the plugs?any hints or easy ways to go about it
    Get a power flush, or how else are you going to get all the fluid changed (unless you do it yourself by running it with the hose off) & filters are cheap so change it.

Plugs are easier with an open end wrench and a short socket like you can get on ebay for $7 (search LT1). The book says to remove the starter, y pipe, and alternator to make the job easier, even though there are some guys that did it w/o removing those parts. You need to do a some of it from underneath. Platinums are OK on a stock car - they are a high mileage plug, not a performance plug.

Comment

I had my tranny rebuilt a year ago, and the owner of the shop told me that the power flushes, like the ones offered at jiffylube, are bad. He said they loosen up a lot of crud that gets stuck in the servoes and can cause problems (not sure if servoes is the right word, but it the point that counts). He suggested the regular drain and filter change.

Comment

I don't really see the need to take the y pipe off but alternator and starter yes. They take 15 minutes a piece at the most and it helps to have the belt off anyways when your putting on wires.
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

thanks guys
          1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

Originally posted by WhtHotZ28
            I had my tranny rebuilt a year ago, and the owner of the shop told me that the power flushes, like the ones offered at jiffylube, are bad. He said they loosen up a lot of crud that gets stuck in the servoes and can cause problems (not sure if servoes is the right word, but it the point that counts). He suggested the regular drain and filter change.
            Did he suggest how to get all that fluid out of the torque converter? Our cars don't have a drain plug there. If you don't then you are just mixing old fluid with new and there's a lot of it in the converter. I do it myself and I use different methods to get all the fluid out, but paying for a filter and half a fluid change is a waste of time and money. That's like changing your oil and leaving the old filter on there with it's quart of contaminated oil. I don't trust Jiffy Lube type places at all, but there's other shops that can do a good job of it. If your tranny is full of crud, then it is already damaged, and it has probably been way too long since the fluid was drained.

Comment

Working...
            X