Advice for a 3.8L

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a 3.8L

Well today's my birthday, and I've got some money coming to me... soo... before I go off to college this fall, i want to do a little something for kicks and giggles...

I have a 96 Camaro, 3.8L 5 spd... I just had a Jasper longblock dropped in (someone hated me enough to put water in my oil...) so I can't mess with the engine itself for insurance reasons... But I have got an intake, headers, hi-flow cat, and a flowmaster 80 series...

I only want to spend about $200-300... So somethings I were thinking about:
    -Getting a 2.5 inch exhaust run instead of 2.25
    -Hurst shift kit
    -gears (not sure, but I think I read that 5spd V6s were 3.08... what would be a nice change?)
    -Computer work (there is someone who works on V6 computers.... right???)

What would be the best bang for the buck??? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated... Thanks-

George
    1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

My suggestion is to pick up a used stock Z28 Catback have it mated to your exhaust. Inexpensive, flows better than stock. The other common swap is a limited slip from a Z28 or T/A that also has the disk brakes. 3.42s from a stick car would be a nice swap.

Comment

i got a stock catback im takin off my car fairly soon
      -Nick-
      95 A4 Z28

Comment

Joe, what would be a general cost for a 3.42? I'm gonna check some local salvage yards... I've also seen some F-Body salvage yards online... Billy Graham's Camaro/Firebird salvage is one... Anyone done business with them?

oh, and 95z28, i sent you an email...

Comment

by the way ... happy birthday
          -Nick-
          95 A4 Z28

Comment

Originally posted by immgeorge
            Joe, what would be a general cost for a 3.42? I'm gonna check some local salvage yards... I've also seen some F-Body salvage yards online... Billy Graham's Camaro/Firebird salvage is one... Anyone done business with them?

oh, and 95z28, i sent you an email...
            I've seen them complete from disk to disk for $300

Comment

I am not too knowledgeable about rear ends and gears and stuff... Is there a difference in the Z28 and V6 rear ends, other than the gearing inside? So my question really becomes will I be able to get a 3.42 ring and pinion gear for my stock rear end or should I try to find a low miles rear end from a Z28-T/A in a salvage yard?
              Any help is appreciated...

George

95z28, thanks... I hear the 18th birthday is pretty special, something about growing up... I don't really feel too different... I just know I can legally buy cigarettes (don't smoke), lottery tickets (may do that ), and certain magazines ...

Comment

your rear wont have limited slip and most likely has drum brakes, so like joe said, you are getting..a gear upgrade, a rear end upgrade and a brake upgrade by swapping...

i also think this would be your best bet
                pewter 99 TA...t-tops, leather, m6, lid, longtubes back, gears, spec clutch, spohn suspension

Comment

How much will I have to change to go from drums in the rear to discs, as far as calipers are concerned? And how hard would the rear end install be?

Comment

well if you buy one from a salvage car, you may be able to get the calipers and everything included with the rear.....then you May need new lines, but im not sure.

the install shouldnt be too difficult....only difficulty i can see is the brakes....
                    pewter 99 TA...t-tops, leather, m6, lid, longtubes back, gears, spec clutch, spohn suspension

Comment

Originally posted by cbrr_mike
                      well if you buy one from a salvage car, you may be able to get the calipers and everything included with the rear.....then you May need new lines, but im not sure.

the install shouldnt be too difficult....only difficulty i can see is the brakes....
                      The brakes will hook right up. The only question I'd have is maybe the proportioning valve is different from disk to drum. Or.. does the ABS box eliminate the prop valve?
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:
                      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                      X