Another NOS question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another NOS question

I know this question is probably really retarded, but I have never used NOS, and I've oftend wondered about a few things associated with it. I know that people on this site are very knowledgeable, so I figured I might as well ask this. My first question is:

Can you spray NOS at any time? Like in the movie, 2 fast 2 furious, he just pushed a button and got a major HP increase. From what I've always heard, you have a computer type thing that comes w/ the NOS system that will spray NOS at a certain RPM. I was just wondering if like you could be driving and all the sudden you want the HP so you just push the button and there you go? I know that this would require you to have your bottle open.

Also, when NOS is used in a car, what does it feel like? I've heard people say that it's nothing like what you see in the fast and furious movies. They said that you just go through the RPMS faster. I will have to find someone who is running NOS that will spray once for me so I can see what it feels like.

Also one last question.. I Just got a 2004 Subaru WRX STI. It has a Turbo. Can you run NITROUS on a supercharged and Turbo charged vehicle? Is it harmful to do this, as to compared to a non turboed or supercharged vehicle?

If someone could answer this, it would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Jeff
    One SWEET 02 GAGT w/ tons of mods!

Jeff, nitrous feels like the hit from the turbo that your new WRX gives you. If you want to always be ready, the bottle mustr be open or use a remote bottle opener. Here are a few tips:
    Nitrous facts

Comment

Re: Another NOS question

Originally posted by Jeff02GAGT

Can you spray NOS at any time? Like in the movie, 2 fast 2 furious, he just pushed a button and got a major HP increase. From what I've always heard, you have a computer type thing that comes w/ the NOS system that will spray NOS at a certain RPM. I was just wondering if like you could be driving and all the sudden you want the HP so you just push the button and there you go? I know that this would require you to have your bottle open.
      You want to place certain limits on its use. Nitrous provides a huge torque increase by providing a huge increase in cylinder pressure. The engine doesn't like all that cylinder pressure at low rpm.... it can do serious damage. So you limit the rpm at which the system can be activated. Typically this will be in the 2,500 - 3,000rpm range. You either use a manual button to turn the system on, and remember not to push the button until the rpm's come up, or you use a "window switch" that prevents the system from activating until you reach the minimum rpm level.

You also only want to spray at WOT... so you put a mechanical switch on the throttle linkage, or tie into the TPS sensor to prevent activating the system at less than WOT. There is a kit from Venom (mainly for imports, but now selling some F-Body stuff) that allows activation at partial throttle, but this is primarily for turbocharged applications.

Also, when NOS is used in a car, what does it feel like? I've heard people say that it's nothing like what you see in the fast and furious movies. They said that you just go through the RPMS faster. I will have to find someone who is running NOS that will spray once for me so I can see what it feels like.
      Depends how much you spray... a 50-shot isn't going to feel like much, maybe similar to the kick you get when an A4 downshifts under WOT. At 125-150HP, its a little bit of a kick in the pants.... you know its there, anincrease by providing a huge increase in cylinder pressure. The engine doesn't like all that cylinder pressure at low rpm.... it can do serious damage. So you limit the rpm at which the system can be activated. Typically this will be in the 2,500 - 3,000rpm range. You either use a manual button to turn the system on, and remember not to push the button until the rpm's come up, or you use a "window switch" that prevents the system from activating until you reach the minimum rpm level.

You also only want to spray at WOT... so you put a mechanical switch on the throttle linkage, or tie into the TPS sensor to prevent activating the system at less than WOT. There is a kit from Venom (mainly for imports, but now selling some F-Body stuff) that allows activation at partial throttle, but this is primarily for turbocharged applications.

Depends how much you spray... a 50-shot isn't going to feel like much, maybe similar to the kick you get when an A4 downshifts under WOT. At 125-150HP, its a little bit of a kick in the pants.... you know its there, and you can feel the car really start to move.

I've had limited experience with the 300-shot.... you can definitely feel it when you go from 450ft-lb of torque to 800ft-lb.

Also one last question.. I Just got a 2004 Subaru WRX STI. It has a Turbo. Can you run NITROUS on a supercharged and Turbo charged vehicle? Is it harmful to do this, as to compared to a non turboed or supercharged vehicle?
      Adding nitrous to a turbo engine is actually quite popular. It is done for two reasons...... 1) to overcome turbo "lag" - and this is why the Venom kit can spray at less than WOT - you want to make up for the lack of boost that occurs until the turbo spools up. 2) acts as in intercooler.... the change of state from liquid to gas creates a huge cooling affect on the incoming air... so if its been heated up by the turbo (or S/C), the nitrous has the same affect as in intercooler. Generally, you are only looking at 50HP or so for this kind of application.

Will it hurt things? A factory turbo engine is probably already pushed near its limits.... diddle with the waste gate and thro on some nitrous and you might push the engine past its limits. But on an engine thats been fortified with some forged or built bottom end components, it can be handled.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I have to apologize for the above post.... whenever I try to use the brackets for quotes and bold, this board screws up the post and starts repeating and duplicating things. Works on every other similar board I've ever posted on, but not here. Definitely a bug in the system.

Odd thing is, that even if I go back and "edit" it still comes out screwed up, or even gets worse.

Again.... .I apologise. Maybe JR can get this fixed, because its a little discouraging spending all that time on a response and then seeing it appear on the screen like it was written by the village idiot
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Awesome >>

Thanks so much Joe and Fred for your very knowledgeable and quick responses. I'm going to consider it for the WRX, and see what happens. I'll talk to a couple of good mechanics and see if it will be possible. THe last thing I need to do is blow the engine. Once again, thanks much guys

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, don't do it.........There are too many gains that can be had out of the existing combo. Nitrous is best used when you've ran out of other options. You could have that scoobie in the mid 12s without touching the spray. Actually, same goes for high 11s.... Nitrous is very touchy stuff...... one little glitch and you can kiss the shortblock goodbye.

Comment

True Joe >>>

I was just talking to a buddy that is a mechanic at the Subaru Dealership where I just bought mine. He told me what I should do is one of 2 things. 1.) Go with a boost controller. The only problem with that is that the stock turbo won't be able to handle all that extra boost I guess as the RPMS rise, therefore it will fall down. and 2.) Go with a bigger Turbo. I'm really leaning towards that right now. He is going to check into prices on it. Hopefully this week, I'm going to have a down pipe and up pipe put in, intake, and a new exhaust system... He said the same thing about NOS, it's not worth it because theres a lot I can do with the TURBO, such as upgrading it... The car is suppose to run a 12.9 STOCK, so with a bigger 16G turbo or whatever it is, I'm thinking I could be pretty close to 12's, maybe faster? That with the pipes, exhaust, intake, etc.... We'll see..

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, yuo should upgrade your signature line... it still talks about your GAGT... you need to talk about your sweet STi now.

But one thing to consider... The STi already throws an insane amount of boost at that 2.5 L 4-banger -- and you want to put a BIGGER turbo on it? It's a brand new car, and still under warranty -- a warranty which would definitely be voided by putting on a bigger turbo. If I were you I would start tweaking elsewhere and see if your car still isn't fast enough for you. My guess is you can reach mid 12's without causing much more stress on the engine. I'm not sure if you want to go faster -- that's personal preference. But, I can't imagine a BIGGER turbo would be a healthy prescription for an engine that is "already near its limits." Just my 2 cents... even if someone said the engine was completely able to handle it, I would be hesitant to put it on -- especially when it is still under warranty.
                Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Working...
                X