How long did your OEM brakes last??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long did your OEM brakes last??

The Ragtop has 58,400 miles on it. I had the brakes inspected today and they told me I have about 30% wear left. I am from the old shool where brakes lasted 40,000 or 45,000 at best. Is this unusual brake lasting power, or is it common for our f-bodies??

BTW, I never have had any problems with the apparently commom rotor warpage.
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

I have the exact same milage on my car and the brakes are starting to go. The stopping distance is getting a little worse and it is starting to slightly squeal. Mine has also been sitting for winter, so the rust builds up a little on the rotor and squeals. Has yours sat around for a while?
    And I dont know if the dude before me did brakes or not.
    97 SS #C007
    Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
    SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

I did have the rotor warpage problem, so I decided to change out the front rotors at 38k on my 98 Z. I figured, 38k, might as well change out the pads as well so I don't have to do this all over again in short order. Popped the wheels off, and the pads looked brand new. I was quite amazed. I went ahead and changed them with some "better" pads since I had the calipers off anyway. I kept the original pads in case the new one ever decide to wear out.
      98 Arrest Me Red Z28 - A4 with 2 washers and B&M SuperCooler, SLP CAI and airbox lid, K&N filter, smooth bellows, WS6 polished wheels (17" x 9"), Power Slot front rotors

Comment

I still have the original brakes on mine. 55k. They look great yet.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

mines got 38 and i think they need to be replaced ... starting to get vibrations in them, unless they are warped idk bakes arent my area.
          -Nick-
          95 A4 Z28

Comment

warped rotors

replacing mine next week because i think my rotors are warped. changed my pads not to long ago and the rotors had some pretty bad groves in them but they were still turnable, but they guy said that they seemed to be warped. so now im going to get some cross drilled/ slotted rotors all the way around. car has 55k on it right now.

99 T/A WS-6
            SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
            2004 Mineral Gray Mustang Mach1 (stock, but ordering the SLP Loudmouth)
            88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

Comment

I replaced front pads at 95k, and the rear at 105k,and then again at 205k and 210k. Original rotors still on it.
              The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

pretty sure mine are original and im reaching the 70k club

Comment

wow Pete 210k ive never seen an fbod with that many

Comment

Working...
                  X