So you think you're fast, eh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you think you're fast, eh?

I'm so pumped about heading to the Gatornationals in a few weeks, here are some statistics to ponder:

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more
    horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes ~10 gallons of
    nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at
    the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on
    overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form
    before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full
    throttle.

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the
    flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen
    above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the
    output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After
    1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut
    down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds
    up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must
    accelerate at an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have
    completed reading this sentence.

* Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900
    revolutions under load.

* The redline is actually quite high at 9500rpm.

* The Bottom Line; Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP,
    each run costs an estimated US $1,000.00 per second.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher).

The top speed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turbo" powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

That, my friends is brutal performance.
    Nothing like the smell of a freshly fired up nitro car on a crisp and cool morning, listening to the crackling of it's idle while you casually sip your morning cup of java.

this thread needs to come with a bib to prevent drool from geting on your keyboard ....
    -Nick-
    95 A4 Z28

Comment

WOW. While I have always wondered about those beasts I have NEVER had it put in those kinds of terms Thanks Joe and have fun at the Gatornationals.
      97 SS #C007
      Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
      SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

YOU, my friend are a poet. That was awsome!
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

he didn't make that up. It's been floating around the internet for a long time.

Anyway, we have talked about this on a few other boards, and the only thing that we REALLY have a problem with is that the engine only needs to last 900 revs under load. 900 revs? maybe 9000, but 900 is absolutely nothing.
          my car:
          '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
          check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Joe, here is something coincidental to your post. Take a look at this pic (large). Note the name on the door.

This is the father of Tony Schumacher (Don) in his 'Cuda funny car "Stardust". Photo taken by me at the 1973 Gatornationals. Tony was about 4 years old at that time.

Another bit of trivia: You know the ubiquitous battery chargers that carry the brand name "Schumacher"? (I know all you older peeps will recognize the name) Now you don't have to guess where the name came from.
            Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

The LT1 world record is about to be demolished.

Spring Break Shootout at San Antonio Raceway is paying a $15,000 winner take all on March 14. You will have to run a 8.80 to be competitive for the prize. I plan on doing that and more with a 425 shot !

Yes I bought the Camaro! Now it is just a matter of engine and tranny transplant!

Comment

FAST T/A, You Dog!!! Thats AWESOME!!!! Youre going to be using your current LT4 Build Up right? Stage 3 Ported heads if I remember correctly. Man, I wish you coulda been at that LT1 Vs. LS1 shootout a while back! I woulda been reading about how you won it for the LT1 group with your car. Definetly keep us all updated! What the status on your engine? Its been a while since you last posted pictures
                1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Originally posted by wako29
                  he didn't make that up. It's been floating around the internet for a long time.

Anyway, we have talked about this on a few other boards, and the only thing that we REALLY have a problem with is that the engine only needs to last 900 revs under load. 900 revs? maybe 9000, but 900 is absolutely nothing.
                  You are correct, I am not the author except for the part about sipping my morning coffee while firing a nitro motor. Now the part about the revs..... it's all in the math. Since the motor is only at WOT for 4.5 seconds @ 7500 rpm, it doesn't turn many total revolutions. The part of the equation missing is there are often times that you exceed those total number of revolutions by extended idle due to technical problems, extended burnouts, etc. so total revolutions including all fire up proceedures and burnout will be higher. Under load, it's still correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
                    Joe, here is something coincidental to your post. Take a look at this pic (large). Note the name on the door.

This is the father of Tony Schumacher (Don) in his 'Cuda funny car "Stardust". Photo taken by me at the 1973 Gatornationals. Tony was about 4 years old at that time.

Another bit of trivia: You know the ubiquitous battery chargers that carry the brand name "Schumacher"? (I know all you older peeps will recognize the name) Now you don't have to guess where the name came from.
                    That's awesome! I was able to do something for my son that I hope one day he will appreciate. December 31, 1999 Don Garlits and Shirley Muldowney blasted off at Midnight for the last drag race of the Millenium. My son and I spent the arrival of the new year in Don's pits sipping champaign and toasting to life in general. Well, at least I was sipping champaign, my son was busy with Don's grandkids. I have a pretty cool photo of my son and the original swamp rat with Don right there pointing out the controls.

Comment

the one that really amazed me was the amount of fuel used at WOT. So is my logic wrong here...about 10 gallons a second, giving the benefit of the doubt of a 4 second run, plus a burnout that lasts maybe 2 seconds and idling time puts a dragster with at least a 60 - 70 gallon gas tank???

Ruz

Comment

The amount of fuel used is correct when the engine is under peak load. There is very little load on the engine during a burnout, so little fuel is used. Same thing at idle... basically a controlled leak, but under load and WOT is where that monsterous volume comes from. It also doesn't use that same rate through the entire run, the fuel volume used increases with mph as does the load against the motor.

Comment

Question????

Here is a question for you math guys. If a fighter jet goes from zero to 120 miles per hour in 2 seconds when launched off of the aircraft carrier catapult, which is more extreme the Top Fuel car or the fighter? What is the fighter's g-force taking off? I always herd that the Top Fuel car was the most extreme, but somebody at work argued the point with me.
                          '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                          '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                          '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                          '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                          '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                          My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

There have been a few tests over the last 20 years comparing a catapault launch of the latest jet fighter vs. either a top fueler or funny car. For the length of a quarter mile, the top fueler wins. Not by much, and after the quarter mile obviously the fighter jet gains, passes and is gone......Pretty cool comparison was when Kenny Bernstein's Budweiser King Top Fueler was brought aboard a carrier and a publicity photo shoot took place with the car idling at the catapaults. Totally bad! In the quarter mile, the only thing that has gone faster is hydrazine.

Comment

More questions Joe. Do dragsters only have one gear? And how come they dont waste a lot of fuel during the burnout? Also, if they experience that many G's how come they dont require G Suits like fighter jet pilots?
                              1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Working...
                              X