Header Clearence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header Clearence

How much clearence would i have under my 96 T/A if i throw some jet hot long tubes or some hooker or dynatech longtubes on. thanks tom
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Not much, long tubes are always going to significantly decrease ground clearance.

Comment

Actually, I've done several long tube conversions for friends. The header itself, doesn't affect clearance by more than a half inch or so. It's the aftermarket Y pipes that are the problem. Clearance also gets tighter the larger the pipe as well. On one conversion, we used Hooker long tubes and a mufflex Y mating to a borla catback. There were no clearance issues with any componant except the mufflex Y pipe. It took a custom Y pipe to solve the issues. Not that the mufflex was a bad part, it's just that there are so many variances in production cars that it is hard to make an aftermarket pipe to fit all cars perfectly. Even header installations will vary from one car to the next depending on where the cradle is bolted down. I have seen custom Y pipes that were almost like factory clearance, so I would recommend going that route with the header of choice. I happen to like ceramic coated Hooker long tubes, but that's my preferance for an LT1.

Comment

Hooker and Jet-Hot are both a good choice. Jet-hot had a period of trouble with their coatings but have since corrected the problem. I like the Jet-Hots better because they are basically a Hooker clone, but made better.

Comment

Well they do say bright minds think alike. lol
          1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
            Hooker and Jet-Hot are both a good choice. Jet-hot had a period of trouble with their coatings but have since corrected the problem. I like the Jet-Hots better because they are basically a Hooker clone, but made better.
            The trouble with jet-hot is what had kept me from trying them. How do they differ from the hookers?

Comment

told ya dude

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
              Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

Yea Fabo i placed this thread before i asked you. Its not that i didnt believe you. I place alot of threads before i ask people oe on one. I like to get alot of peoples perspective on things.

Comment

If you go custom on the Y pipe, there are some oval tubings out there that can be used for clearance trouble areas. You would have to buy some bends & straights and fab one up and blend it into the collectors somehow. Adapt, innovate, overcome. Oorah.

Comment

Sir Yes Sir!!!!! (Saluting)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      The trouble with jet-hot is what had kept me from trying them. How do they differ from the hookers?
                      The major differences are the primary tubing on the Jet Hot's are 16 gauge steel compared to the Hookers 18 gauge primaries. And the flanges on the Jet Hot's are 5/16" thick instead of 3/8" Hooker flanges.

The higher EGT's generated by nitrous and blown motors has been known to warp the flanges on the Hooker Super Comps.

Jet-Hot has also smartly placed the o2 sensor bungs on the inside of the headers.

And the Jet Hot LT's are almost $100 cheaper than the Hooker Super Comps.

The ironically funny thing is that Jet Hot does all of Hooker's coatings!

Comment

And the Jet Hot LT's are almost $100 cheaper than the Hooker Super Comps.

Sold.

Comment

Do we have clearance Clarence?

roger, Roger.

Whats your vector, Victor?
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:
                          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                            Do we have clearance Clarence?

roger, Roger.

Whats your vector, Victor?
                            Tracy have you been drinking?

Comment

Tracy have you been drinking?
                              Check it, Bleed.. Bro was ON, Didn't trip!
                              But the folks was freakin' man I aint lying.
                              And the pilots was laid to the bone, holm.
                              SO, blood hammered out and jammed jip
                              Straitened that sucka down the runway like a mutha, Sheeeeyat.

Let me know if you cannot read jive, June Cleaver can translate.
                              Tracy
                              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                              Current Mods:
                              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                              X