Just ported my MAF ends...LT1...questions>>

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ported my MAF ends...LT1...questions>>

Hi, I just finished porting my Maf ends for my T/A, but am undecided as to whether or not I should also cut out part of the black plastic parts as noted on different websites. Who has done this, and what can I expect out of this mod?

Was this a good idea in the first place?

Car has FIPK and Loudmouth for ind/exh.

Thanks,
    Jason.

About the best you can expect out of the mod is an MAF sensor with a screwed up flow calibration. I'd say over several years of reading these posts, 1/3 of the people report near-miraculous SOTP HP gains, generally unsupported by track or dyno data; 1/3 feel "nothing"; and 1/3 find problems like rough idle, surging and screwed up long term fuel corrections.

The only gain possible from the mod would be if you got lucky and caused the sensor to under-report air flow at WOT. This would lean out the "too rich" stock A/F ratio programming and net you up to 15HP. But its a hit-or-miss situation... you are altering the calibration and the results are not predictable. Mail-order PCM tuners HATE mod'd MAF's because they have no idea what the new calibration curve looks like.

The correct solution to the "too rich" WOT target A/G ratio is to send your PCM to a mail-order tuner and have the power enrichment (PE) mode target A/F ratios modified to lean things out. Or pick up tuning software and do it yourself. That is good for a quick 15HP on a stock engine.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
    X