Electrical problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical problems

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. I've been browsing through the forum for a week. My problem is something with the ignition I think. After reading everyones threads, Im pretty sure its the opti. Heres what happened. 3 weeks ago, I tore the waterpump off due to a bad bearing. When I put it back together it was getting hot. It turns out that I hadnt bled the bleeder screws. Anyways, when my dad got home he tore it back down not realizing we had not bled it. When we put it back together it wouldnt start. We did get it to start for about 2 mins. it spit and sputtered and then died. Now I guess my question is, do you think its the opti or the ICM. the repair manual i have showed a diagram for a gm 8 pin ICM, but the ICM only has a 4 pin plug. Also I tried testing the ICM with an Actron sensor tester, But sense I'm not sure what type of ICM this is, Im not sure i did it right. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
    Attached Files

Re: Electrical problems

Originally posted by Jonld
    Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. I've been browsing through the forum for a week. My problem is something with the ignition I think. After reading everyones threads, Im pretty sure its the opti. Heres what happened. 3 weeks ago, I tore the waterpump off due to a bad bearing. When I put it back together it was getting hot. It turns out that I hadnt bled the bleeder screws. Anyways, when my dad got home he tore it back down not realizing we had not bled it. When we put it back together it wouldnt start. We did get it to start for about 2 mins. it spit and sputtered and then died. Now I guess my question is, do you think its the opti or the ICM. the repair manual i have showed a diagram for a gm 8 pin ICM, but the ICM only has a 4 pin plug. Also I tried testing the ICM with an Actron sensor tester, But sense I'm not sure what type of ICM this is, Im not sure i did it right. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
    The ICM is cheap. If you suspect it, replace it first. I bet if you ask nicely someone here might even have an extra one lying around.

Are there any codes?

Did you get the opti wet changing the water pump?

You might want to put some info about your car in your sig. What year, model, trans, mods??
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I can see some water did get on the top of the opti. I dont know if it was enough to hurt though, seeing how it did run the first time we put it together. The car is a 94 Formula, M6. Bone stock except for a previous owner removed the cat and put a loud muffler in it. Not sure what brand, because all labels were removed. I plan on a FIPK. I also ordered a cable from AKM and got the tunercat software, so I will be making some comp adjustments as soon as I can get it to run again. Also that is why I dont know if there are any codes, because my actron code reader wont work on these cars.

Comment

Working...
      X