top fuel acceleration curve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top fuel acceleration curve

I'm posting this as a new thread because this has data acquisition from top fuel and other forms of motorsports...I didn't want to take anything away from the original thread's topic.
    For Kevin, and others who want to see it
    Here's the chart in small size...if you click on it, it will link to the full size chart, it's big...650k in file size. Resolution size is 1356x2548. It was produced in June 2000.

For those who don't want to download the large graph, and can't quite see the details in this one...here's a quick summary and a few issues:

We do know that the top fuel record has been broken at I believe a 4.441, but the chart is close enough.

There are a few other cars there.
    The red curve is a CART car, 4 years ago. Back then, they had ~900 hp. Now, after going through some restrictions, they're down to ~750, so the ET/MPH would be somewhat slower than this chart.

The IRL car, in the green, is practically dead on to today's performance.

The yellow curve is the Winston Cup car. I'm not sure if it's a bad run, but I recall an actual test of a Cup car...it ran a 10.5 with a horrible 1.5:1 first gear (src: Popular Mechanics)...thus, it should be much quicker than the 11.05 run. Also, during this year, Cup cars were only pushing 660-680 RWHP. Now, they're at 760+ RWHP, which probably would mean 830-850+ hp at the flywheel...and a lot better ET.

The blue curve is the AWD Subaru Imprezza WRX race car. We can see that the traction really does help, but of course is no match once the other cars get going.

The maroon curve is a Lamborgini Diablo. It holds it's own up to 60 mph, but falls off quickly thereafter.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

That is so cool.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

The only thing that really surprises me are the Lamborghini's poor numbers... I mean, those are almost base C5-esque.

GM High Performance tested the 04 anniversary edition M6 C5 at 12.7 @ 111.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Yes, the Diablo is a bit slow...not sure what the specs were 4 years ago, but now it should be roughly a few miles per hour faster and about .7 to .9 quicker in the ET. I believe they're at 550 hp now or maybe 2003/2002 models...does anyone know what it was in 2000?
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I know I rode in a 1994 Lambo Diablo VT -- which would have absolutely embarassed a car running a 12.7.

Comment

Truly awesome!

Comment

OK, I found it...530 hp, 448 torque. The things curb weight is 3750 though. That's not excusable for the horrible time though. I'm reading the way they launched it...seems like they had a hard time and the 1-2 shift was bad for them. I dunno...maybe horrible track conditions?
              530 horse should be 120-125 in the traps for that weight.

Comment

I am sure there were some traction issues with several of those cars.

Comment

Oh yea...there has to be lots of traction problems.
                  Also, more on the diablo...look at the chart...you can see the terrible shifting and the time lost for each shift. The 1-2 shift literally lost 1/2 second, the 2-3 lost about 1/4 second, and the 3-4 lost about 1/3 second. That's roughly 1 second lost in shifting! Absolutely horrible! That somewhat explains why 11s weren't there...

Comment

Craig do you have the ability to temporarily host a 2meg vid for me? I wanted to show you guys a vid of a viper vs. a lambo but for some reason my FTP client is not letting me log in to my site right now.

Comment

Fixed the problem, here it is. I guess some people are quite use to going through the gears in a 540hp high priced sports car.

viper vs. lambo

Comment

The Diablo's shifter and clutch stinks to say the least. I am pretty good with a stick and I had a aheck of a time with it. That has been a constant complaint with the journalists as well.

Comment

I think it would be tough to be a Diablo owner and lose to a Suburu. The Suburu guys are really doing a good job performance -wise, but I can't handle the looks. I don't think I could ever buy one unless they totally redo it, but at the same time, I know that it would be fantastically fun to drive.

Comment

Sorry Kevin...I didn't check the board until now regarding the video hosting. But it looks like you solved the problem.
                            Sweet video! 13s for the Diablo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                              Sorry Kevin...I didn't check the board until now regarding the video hosting. But it looks like you solved the problem.
                              Sweet video! 13s for the Diablo!!!
                              How would you like to be lined up next to that Lambo in your f-bod and pull a high 12 and wax him. Talk about an ego boost!

Comment

Working...
                              X