Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinting Windows

2 Questions really.

Does anyone else live in a state where Tinting below 50% (factory tint) is not allowed? I live in MIchigan, and its not allowed. I want to go 35% but am afraid to be pestered by the cops. I see quite a few cars out there with tinted side windows and so i was wondering...

1) Are cops that stringent about it? Would they bother me that much with 35% tint? Fully tinted rear of course

2) About the rear window, my 2002 Trans Am, and probably the later models, anyone notice that weird black stuff at the top of the rear window? Looks like some kinda black pattern across the window? Well, I saw someone's car with limo tint on the rear, and that stuff on the window made the tint not take too well. Anyone know if it could just be an "inexperienced" person putting the tint on, or does that black stuff on the window cause a problem with tinting?

Thanks
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
    6sp Hurst Shifter
    White w/T-tops

Stock...for now (Until warranty expires)
    Takin her to the track this summer!

1. - depends on the cops in your area. Around here only small town "nothing better-to -do" cops will hasslee you about tint.

2.- The tint won't stick to the "dots", most people just don't tint the top part of the window. That's what I did on mine, and actually you really don't notice it. Or use black paint to fill it in once the tint is on.

Randy
    99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
    93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

IC so you just cut around the bottom part of that black dot crap and the tint kinda blends right into it eh?

I live in a regular city i guess u could say. Not a huge city but one with a post office , malls, etc lol. Not a rural town.

I really want to get the tint but im afraid to get a bunch of tickets and then end up wasting my money, know what I mean?

Also, if I went for limo tint instead of 35% tint, do you think there would be a difference in the police letting me go with 35% as opposed to limo tint? Or would there be no difference?

6sp Hurst Shifter
      White w/T-tops

Comment

i had tinted windows on my firebird and got pulled over twice ,the cop didnt say anything about it.

[IMG]www.cardomain.com/memberpage/523278[/IMG]
        Miss My Bird

Comment

ok here is the picturetinted windows
          Miss My Bird

Comment

I live in Pa, and it seems like our state has the harshest laws against, any exterior anything really. I have a 95 Z with 15% back and 20% up front. I got pulled over twice for it and the first cop tested it and said it was within limit. Then i got pulled over but a state cop that said that it was totally illegal but let me go. It also depends on what color you car is inside and out. Mine is black in and out so it seems darker then if you had a white car with light interior

And about those dots at the top of the window wait till a hot day and use a hair dryer and comb in the dots with a credit card thats what i did and it looks good.
            I LOVE COBRA'S -
            THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

I live in Cols, OH - I have had 5 cars with 35% tint - never had a problem. IMHO - 50% is not even worth messing with - go 35 - any darker and I think you are asking for probs. Also, depends on how you drive - if you drive fast you probably don't want another reason for them to bother you.
              Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Originally posted by FRMLAV8
                1. - depends on the cops in your area. Around here only small town "nothing better-to -do" cops will hasslee you about tint.

2.- The tint won't stick to the "dots", most people just don't tint the top part of the window. That's what I did on mine, and actually you really don't notice it. Or use black paint to fill it in once the tint is on.

Randy
                Yah I agree around here about the end of each month the cops hasslee people about tint and doing 55 in a 45, and so on...

And yes it won't stick and some what looks ugly and all... Furthermore, it is more ampt to leave bubbles in the tint in those areas especial around the edges... A friend of mine also said that the rear window is a heck of a challenge because of a little change in the slope about 5 inches from the base of here wing on a 98 firebird v6...

Good luck...

Around here though you have to pay about $10 more at each inspection and may have to pay for a fix it ticket... and it is hard around here in a mid size city to find places that will inspect your car with window tinting... even the dealerships don't around here...
                Thanks
                MaraSport

Comment

35% is the law here in TX. I have been driving around with 17.5% on my truck for 2 years now without hassle, but I don't about the cops in other states.

Comment

My car is already at 50% tint (factory tinted) and I think the law in MIchigan is 50%, unless you wanna do the top 6 inches or something ONLY, but thats just retarded lookin.

I think im gonna get 35% done on my car. I have a white Trans am with black leather on the inside. I think im gonna go with limo tint on the back, and 35% on the sides.

Im not going to do it though, im going to have a company do it for me.

The car with that tint that they cut around the bubbles, you cant even tell, but then again, you have some text on the window in that place too. But from an outside view, because those bubbles make it look real dark anyway, it probably would all blend right in. I think im gonna get charged about 135 bucks to do the side windows and back window. I think the back window was 90 bucks alone because the guy said before that it was a tough window to do. (I checked into this 2 years ago )

Im not really a fast driver. I go 5 over but thats about it. If im on a highway, i usually go 7 or 8 over, trying to stay away from that magical 10 over that the cops like to get people on .

I get my fun on the straight on-ramps
                    6sp Hurst Shifter
                    White w/T-tops

Comment

I put 35% tint on my car. Never had an issue with the po-po for it. About the little pattern on the back, as already said, the tint doesn't stick really well on it. What ever you do get the back part of the window professionally tinted it is a very difficult task to do yourself if you do not tint cars every day (make sure they use the lead type of tint, which leaves a metallic look on the window. The other s**t turns purple over time). One last piece of advice, who ever does your tinting make sure they will use a single piece of tint on the back window. Some like to use two pieces of tint which leaves even more edges for the tint to peel off. Good luck.
                      94' Formula, T-56, Moroso CAI

Comment

Working...
                      X