T56 Tail-shaft Bushing Replacement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T56 Tail-shaft Bushing Replacement?

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the tail-shaft bushing on the T56? ...have instructions? Mine is a little worn and giving me headaches...literally! The few tranny people I have called are driving me insane with the whys, I don't think so(s), and why do drive your car the way you do...I am not going to work on your car B*!

Oh, it is a little worn, causing mild vibration through the tranny after I installed the 4.10s. It starts around 80mph; the guy who did the gears diagnosed the problem for me, and showed me the play it has.
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Not to argue the diagnosis but it might be something else.

1. It could be the driveshaft. I believe their is a TSB on a balance problem. I'm sure someone else could chime in with more details. When you changed the rear end, you lowered the speed in which the vibration would occur. I bet with the old gears it would vibrate at like 110.

2. The yoke might be wore out. I had this problem with my Mustang which had a T5. When I put the 3.73s in, Mine did it at 70 mphs. I took the driveshaft out and had it "balanced" (joke) and it still did it. I put 2 different U joints in it and it still did it. I finally changed the yoke and it fixed it. The guy at the parts place said it was a very common problem.

I don't think the T5 has a rear shaft bearing. It looks like a bushing and I seam to remember mine having play in it. The T56 looks similar but I honestly can't tell from the picture. There is a breakdown in the parts manual. Go here to download it.

http://www.abrinoperformanceengineer...T1%20%20stuff/

Either way, an aluminum driveshaft kit would fix it. I believe it comes with a new yoke.

What kind of car is this in and how many miles are on it? Is this your 97? If it is, I bet it is not the yoke and I bet it is the driveshaft TSB.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

It is in my '97. I have 95,000 miles on it. The guy who looked at it was pretty positive it was the bushing. All he does is gears and driveline...pretty knowledgeable. He doesn't do trannys. ...I don't blame him; it is the one thing I don't do either.

I do have the SLP drive-shaft on the way. http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...&SHOWEMAIL=Off

I imagine that this will make a difference. I do want to get that bushing replaced though. When I pull the drive-shaft, I will see how hard it is to pull the bushing. However, I called NAPA, and they don't even sell them. What a pain...
      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Let us know if the driveshaft fixes it. I'd try it before pulling the trans apart for sure.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
        X