advice on changing to 85 Corvette rear end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on changing to 85 Corvette rear end

Hi there, I have a 95 Camaro that I want to change the rearend on using a 85 Corvette rearend. I have a 350 engine with turbo 400 transmission to go in it. Any advice/opinions on doing this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Eddie

Yeah Ed...... Don't. To swap in an independant rear setup in these cars is going to be an impressive engineering feat.

Comment

That would require a fat wallet, and a very good imagination. I think Joe pretty much summed it up!

Just to clarify, were you trying to convert your Camaro to an independent rear suspension type setup, or were you just thinking the rear end's were essentially interchangeable?

Apples and Oranges.

Comment

Please clarify. You are aware there is no way a rearend from a vette could possibly fit one of our cars. You would have to install the entire independant rear suspension. That would mean rebuilding the entire back half of the car pretty much. Not really practical, but if you were determined to do it, spent the $$ and did it right it would be pretty cool.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
          Please clarify. You are aware there is no way a rearend from a vette could possibly fit one of our cars. You would have to install the entire independant rear suspension. That would mean rebuilding the entire back half of the car pretty much. Not really practical, but if you were determined to do it, spent the $$ and did it right it would be pretty cool.
          It is indeed possible. There was a factory mule back in the mid 90s that had an IRS and the rear transaxle from the 97+ C5. It wasn't a good fit, but it was in there. The rumour at the time was a possible IRS for the f-body, obviously the idea didn't fly. From what I understand, a major reworking of the rear structure was needed and that is out to the scope of anything but a dedicated custom/conversion shop.

Comment

Hi there, this is Mrs Eddie here, aka Jean, anyways...as far as I know we do want the independant rearend system....as for $$, wellllll..how do you stop a determined car lover??? hahaha....seriously tho, when yall are talking about major mods to the rear to get this end in, can you give me an idea of how much work is required?? ie: what would need to be cut etc? We have a 350 engine that has the corvette heads (i think thats the right terms for it) to go into it that we are now getting machined etc. We are taking out the computer chip and not adding NOS. The tranny will be a 400 and completely overhauled I do believe, unless he bought a new one! We also are putting a full roll cage and extra supports in, will this affect the rearend install do ya think? Sorry for so many questions, but we would really like as many opinions and advice as possible to make our final decisions Thanks for the replies they are very much appreciated and welcomed, glad I found this site and shall send pics of the car when its done. Regards, Jean

Comment

Originally posted by helicop
              Hi there, this is Mrs Eddie here, aka Jean, anyways...as far as I know we do want the independant rearend system....as for $$, wellllll..how do you stop a determined car lover??? hahaha....seriously tho, when yall are talking about major mods to the rear to get this end in, can you give me an idea of how much work is required?? ie: what would need to be cut etc? We have a 350 engine that has the corvette heads (i think thats the right terms for it) to go into it that we are now getting machined etc. We are taking out the computer chip and not adding NOS. The tranny will be a 400 and completely overhauled I do believe, unless he bought a new one! We also are putting a full roll cage and extra supports in, will this affect the rearend install do ya think? Sorry for so many questions, but we would really like as many opinions and advice as possible to make our final decisions Thanks for the replies they are very much appreciated and welcomed, glad I found this site and shall send pics of the car when its done. Regards, Jean
              I'd start by stripping the rearned of the car. You'll need a giant jig to put it in that will allow you to allign and support the vette rear while building the supports and brackets for it. You may also need to remove much of the existing structure. The solid axle is actually better for drag racing. Are your goals to autocross with the IRS?
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Why not just buy a Vette?

I have no idea what all is involved in details. You're talking about cutting out pieces that might be structural to your car. The new piece that you need to weld in may not have the same structural support so you have to redesign it to be functional for the independent suspension and in strutural supporting. To me this sounds like a nightmare.

Unless you have tons of money to spare for enginnering and manufacturing. Nothing that time and money can't fix. But is it going to be worth it?

Why not just buy a Vette?
                97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Hi there, no we dont plan on autocross, just want a good street car might run the quarter for fun one day!!1 As for why the vette rearend and not buy one? well it was a thought Eddie had and we were wanting to get input on if it was possible and what we might be in for etc....which is why I found this forum and posted etc.....we love our Camaro and have had a vette,which whilst it was a beautiful car and all, I like the Camaro better for some reason.....anyways, thanks for the input, sounds like we might have upset a few folk here and that was not the intention! But anyways, thanks for your thoughts, have a nice day,Jean

Comment

I don't think anyone is remotely upset, you guys are welcome anytime. If you are serious about the IRS, here are a few ideas. You will need the complete IRS and attach it to a carriage that will bolt and weld in place. The carriage will require the relocation of the gas tank, also making refueling with the stock filler a problem. The easiest solution is a fuel cell located topside in the rear hatch area. Next is the exhaust. Something custom that crosses the differential under the center with whatever desired once past the differential. I also think that some reworking of the rear inner fenderwells will be needed to clear the upper links of the IRS. I think the project is very do-able, the major parts will be fabrication of a carrier with appropriate mounts, and professional quality sheetmetal work. I also think to take full benefit of the IRS, a little redesign of the front may be in order as well.

Comment

Well I am certainly happier now I thought that we might have given the wrong impression, we really do enjoy our Camaro and I thought I might have sounded like someone who wanted to modify the Camaro to be more like a vette...anyways enough dribble!!! Happy to say we have talked to Mike Clays Custom Cars here in Georgia and they seem to think they can do it for us and more importantly do it right yayaya...I will print all the advice tho and keep as some point of reference, like i said we now have a better understanding of what we want to do and how to go about it. So thank you everyone for the input, it was very much appreciated and I look forward to sending some pics when we get finished with her....I cant wait to be honest, its gonna be a fun ride!!! thanks, Jean

Comment

Originally posted by helicop
                        Well I am certainly happier now I thought that we might have given the wrong impression, we really do enjoy our Camaro and I thought I might have sounded like someone who wanted to modify the Camaro to be more like a vette...anyways enough dribble!!! Happy to say we have talked to Mike Clays Custom Cars here in Georgia and they seem to think they can do it for us and more importantly do it right yayaya...I will print all the advice tho and keep as some point of reference, like i said we now have a better understanding of what we want to do and how to go about it. So thank you everyone for the input, it was very much appreciated and I look forward to sending some pics when we get finished with her....I cant wait to be honest, its gonna be a fun ride!!! thanks, Jean
                        Please post pictures as your project progresses. It sounds like you have plans to kick off a really cool original project and lots of pictures will be a treat to see.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:

Comment

An f-body with independent rear suspension! Sounds good to me!

Comment

Working...
                          X