!screen MAF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !screen MAF

Given a freed up air intake (CAI, lid, bellows...), does removing the screen from the MAF sensor buy any better airflow? Are there any possible negatives to this mod (besides the possibility of breaking the sensor wires when you do it)?
    98 Arrest Me Red Z28 - A4 with 2 washers and B&M SuperCooler, SLP CAI and airbox lid, K&N filter, smooth bellows, WS6 polished wheels (17" x 9"), Power Slot front rotors

Yes it will improve airflow, but don't expect a big hp increase. Just be very careful when you pop the screen out. Mine came out very easily with a couple a taps from a hammer and a screwdriver.

Comment

There is a large wire C-ring to remove. Use a little screwdriver to get under it and pop it out. The screen will then push right out.

[edit] oops.. I didnt notice you had a 91. you will have 2 screens, and I cant remember how they are held in. I'm pretty sure you will need to destroy them to get them out though.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I removed both screens so I have to run a air cleaner to protect the MAF wire. I have not cut out the heat sink yet. I can't say that I noticed any difference. Some people say that the screens diffuse the air for better accuracy of the MAF.
        Kevin Thornton

91 Z28 Black, 6" cowl hood, 468 ci,
        850? Holley, MSD 6AL, TH 350,
        1989 Trans-Am, Ram-Air hood, 5.7
        TPI, 700r4, 3.27 9 bolt, K&N, No
        screens on MAF, Cat delete,
        Flowmaster cat-back, 245x60 15
        frt, 295x50 15 r
        15.109@91 1/4

Comment

Working...
        X