stroker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stroker

ok this summer i plan on gettin an extra job seens as i wont be in school. i want to put a stroker in my car. So im wondering if first im better off just going somewhere like www.nu-tekmotorsports.com or if i would be better off buying a kit, and getting a shop to do the machineing. and if i were to buy the kit who makes a good one for a reasonable price and what would be expected for costs on preparing the block.
    -ken-
    and oh yea - i was thinking 383.
    ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

I would STRONGLY recommend you find a local shop with LT1-specific experience, and talk to them about a complete build. Most shops will work with you and let you buy some of the parts if you can get them cheaper. See how well they are willing to listen to your needs, goals and preferences. Also, demonstrate to them that you are willing to rely on their experience as necessary.

Building an engine is not a simple matter. I wouldn't do it by myself... I used a reliable shop, I selected and purchased many of the parts (and usually they were NOT the best choices in the long run), I listened to them when I knew they knew more than I know (most cases).... and they were willing to spend the time to listen to me and understand what I wanted, and why my idea wasn't necessarilly the best idea.... and maybe even a few cases where they agreed my idea was better.

I believe before you buy anything from Nutek.... do a thorough search on the popular F-Body bulletin boards. Nutek has gotten some absolutely terrible publicity on the boards. Horror stories of people up to 2 years for engines they have essentially paid for. A friend of my waited almost a year for a "group purchase" stroker from Nutek... and when he got it there were serious problems that required another 6 moths of dickering around with Nutek.

Apparently, Nutek is a very skilled one-man operation, and commits to more than he can handle. To emphasize.... other than my personal friend's experience, this is "heresay".... I have no intent of tarnishing Nutek's rep, but I believe it would be worth your time to search carefully for information before placing an order.

You really need to think through your goals, budget limitations, and any "time" limitations. 3 months off from school might not be enough to finish the project. And remember that in addition to the $$$$ you have for the engine, you will need about 50% more to support the engine... fuel system, exhaust system, driveline upgrades, suspension upgrades, etc.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks for the info fred.
      ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

oh and the time off from school isnt gonna be for doing the project, itll just be for making the money. the project would be done in the winter when my car is on storage insurance. cus i cant drive it anyways.
        ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

my current exhaust is flowmaster cat back, edelbrock shorties, and the stock y pipes with gutted cats. how much would that hold me back, would i really need to go a different way. what would i be looking at in the line of driveline and suspension upgrades. i know what i would need for the feul system, and i would just have ed wright do an update on what hes already done for my computer.
          ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

If you plan to stay naturally aspirated, I think the only fuel system upgrade you might need would be injectors. The stock fuel lines and pump have been shown sufficient to support about 450 hp.
            How radical do you want this motor to be?

Do a search for "LT1 shortblock" and you will find plenty of great deals on 383 stroker shortblock packages. I also like Fred, purchased all of my internals separately and then had one speed shop do my splayed 4 bolt conversion, and then another speed shop do all the block machining, hardblock filling, boring, and honing. I ended up saving a little money this way but it was much more of a hassle and time consuming.

If I had to my stroker all over again I would definitely send my block to someone who was offering a "package deal".

Comment

i want it to be pretty powerful. im not really sure what you can get out of a 383. i want it to be strong enough for a supercharger down the road.
              ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

Working...
              X