Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the hold-up on hydrogen powered vehicles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimeLord
    All the US has to do is have less retarded laws that are made by tree huggers.

GOVERMENT STUPIDITY !!!!!!
    This pretty much sums it up!

We have a lot of special interests who misinform the “largely ignorant” general public on issues, and use the government as a vehicle to push their agenda. I hate it(!) ...that is why I left politics. Instead of an institution that was designed to protect the rights of its citizens, it now plays the role of mamma bird with one worm and several chics to divide up the spoils. ...we now have a lot of “cause” based groups who could care less about the communities of interest they destroy pushing their agenda. It is beyond ridiculous!
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
      I work at a nuclear power plant (perhaps the world's most famous plant, TMI) and I can tell you with 100% certainty that nuclear fusion plant (combining atoms instead of splitting them) technology is not even on the radar screen. This technology is still essentially theoretical and not even close to commercial application. But when and if it arrives, it would be pollution and waste free, and produce an enormous amount of power.

The company I work for, and now a few others, have filed early site permits with the NRC. This is the first step is construction of new nuclear plants. My company (Exelon) claims to have no plans for a new reactor, but is simply "banking" the site for possible future use (early site permits are good for 20 years).

What these new plants may contain, technology-wise, is anyone's guess. There IS a new type of plant being considered that uses helium instead of water to cool the fuel. According to the industry, it would be much safer and cheaper to build a plant of this design than a traditonal water-cooled plant. Of course there are always those that disagree. There is a prototype plant of this design being constructed in South Africa now. I'm not sure if it's online yet, but it is being built. This is probably the future of nuclear power, assuming there are no accidents or problems with the technology in the near future.

My guess would be, that with todays energy needs and fossil fuel prices constantly rising, you may start to see new plant construction within the next 10-15 years. It would have happened already if not for the public resistance; nuclear plants are an electric utility's most profitable by a wide marging, due to the shear amount of power they can produce.

Hydrogen powered cars are far off because of the design problems (crash resistance) and the need for hydrogen "gas stations" before it can become widespread. Hybrid vehicles really are the best choice right now. 60 mpg in the city? I'd take that for my daily driver. 0-60 is sluggish at about 9-10 seconds but that's why it is a daily driver and not my track car.
      Ahh ok Dave thanks. I didnt mean to spread false information, like i said i wasnt 100% on it but I thought thats what i heard.

I remember having discussions in my chemistry class in 10th grade..oh lets see, that was about 10 yrs ago now? MY GOD WHERE DOES THE TIME GO?

My teacher said if any one of us ever came up with a way to fuse 2 atoms together, we would become perhaps wealthier than bill gates. That takes an enormous amount of energy or something to fuse just 2 atoms together, but yea, completely waste free.

I think we will get there eventually though.
      2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
      6sp Hurst Shifter
      White w/T-tops

Stock...for now (Until warranty expires)
      Takin her to the track this summer!

Comment

Read this.... http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...lcellcars.html

GM has built this car, tested it, even let one of the news anchors take it for a spin ( Dan Rather.. I think)
        It's an awesome car, but....don't hold your breath for them to actually start appearing on the highways.
        Like some others have said, refueling will be a problem at the present time. Plus they have to give the oil companies a chance to get their ducks in a row so that the economy wouldn't suffer a catastrophic meltdown.
        Can you imagine the economic implications if every oil refinery, every oil storage and distribution facility and every gas station in America was suddenly obsolete??

Comment

Originally posted by NY_Rebel
          Read this.... http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...lcellcars.html

GM has built this car, tested it, even let one of the news anchors take it for a spin ( Dan Rather.. I think)
          It's an awesome car, but....don't hold your breath for them to actually start appearing on the highways.
          Like some others have said, refueling will be a problem at the present time. Plus they have to give the oil companies a chance to get their ducks in a row so that the economy wouldn't suffer a catastrophic meltdown.
          Can you imagine the economic implications if every oil refinery, every oil storage and distribution facility and every gas station in America was suddenly obsolete??
          I could make a racist comment but i like being a member here LOL.

I just wanna know when the hell the US is going to start getting their hands on some of that IRAQI oil. Idont think it shoudl be free, but I think the US should get discounts.
          2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
          6sp Hurst Shifter
          White w/T-tops

Stock...for now (Until warranty expires)
          Takin her to the track this summer!

Comment

We pay about the average price for gasoline.

Hong Kong pays over $5.00
            London and Paris are both over $4.00

...in contrast, Venezuela pays $0.27 for a gallon.

Our $1.79 national average is about average for the world.
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
              Couldn't nuclear power be used to produce it?
              Imagine the malfunctions that you could have. Instead of a nitrous sneeze blowing the hood & intake off, you would have a 50 megaton mushroom cloud and a 1 mile diameter crater where the track usta was,,,Cooool

Comment

Originally posted by Firehawk734

My teacher said if any one of us ever came up with a way to fuse 2 atoms together, we would become perhaps wealthier than bill gates. That takes an enormous amount of energy or something to fuse just 2 atoms together, but yea, completely waste free.

I think we will get there eventually though.
                If you want an idea of how much energy it takes to fuse two atoms together, keep in mind that the Sun is essentially a fusion power plant. The sun burns so hot and the pressure inside is so great that hydrogen atoms are forced together to form Helium. This eaction creates a great amount of heat and energy, thus sustaining and continuing the reaction until the fuel (hydrogen) is exhausted. After billions of years, 97% of the fuel in the sun still remains.

So, yeah, you'd be a rich man if you could do that. I believe it has been done in labs (not sure if it was with hydrogen or other atoms) but the power isn't even close to being harnessed commercially.
                Dave M
                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Hyndai showed a fuel cell vehicle at the Geneva auto show. 93 mph top speed, 180 mile range, hydrogen fuel and water vapor is the only emmission. Testing may take place on public roads next year.

Hyundai's fuell cell vehicle
                  Dave M
                  Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Firehawk734
                    I just wanna know when the hell the US is going to start getting their hands on some of that IRAQI oil. Idont think it shoudl be free, but I think the US should get discounts.
                    Because the US gouvernment strictly denies having gone to Iraq because of the oil.
                    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                      Imagine the malfunctions that you could have. Instead of a nitrous sneeze blowing the hood & intake off, you would have a 50 megaton mushroom cloud and a 1 mile diameter crater where the track usta was,,,Cooool
                      NO, lol... hahaha... I mean use nuclear energy to produce the hydrogen in plants. Kinda like oil refineries -- hydrogen refineries.

Not nuclear reactors under the hood, lol...
                      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

GM just had a big news release. They're powering a plant in TX, i think, with two hydrogen fuel cells.
                        Joe K.
                        '11 BMW 328i
                        '10 Matrix S AWD
                        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

GM/DOW

Kind of a lame project,they are recycling unused Hydrogen into electricity.

Once the project is running full tilt it will make a minuscule addition to the total power requirements of the plant.

Want to bet this falsl under the alternate fuels scam,that gives companies 300% tax write offs!!!
                          94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

The November 12, 2002, edition of The Washington Times published an interesting letter on this subject written by Jim Hood of Laughlin, Nevada:

"Hydrogen is not like gas, which packs a lot of energy into a small tank. Unless hydrogen is liquefied at -400 degrees (F), it's not very practical. Much storage space would be needed if hydrogen gas were used in a fuel-cell powered car. A typical car's gas tank contains about two million Btu of energy, but only 700 Btu if it's filled with hydrogen gas at atmospheric pressure. If the pressure is raised to 150 psi (like a barbeque's five-gallon propane tank) this would be 7,000 Btu. About 285 barbecue propane tanks would be needed to equal the energy in a full tank of gasoline. Heavier, high pressure hydrogen spheres could cut the space requirement a bit, but most people have better uses for their car trunks."

_______

Keep in mind that it is far too expensive (and energy intensive) to produce hydrogen from water (water being an incredibly stable molecule which is one of the reasons it is useful for extinguishing fires). Instead, hydrogen is produced commercially in a methane-steam reaction under pressure, with the byproduct being carbon dioxide (yep, another one of those nasty ol' "greenhouse gases."

A fuel cell may be a very efficient way to produce energy, but producing fuel for the fuel cell is not.

Alas, another wonderful "solution" dashed to bits by inconvenient facts. :-)
                            R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Working...
                            X