Hood Insulation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Insulation

After my Ram Air Hood was stolen (see "Watch your Ram air Hoods) I bought an SLP hood for my 1998 Trans Am. The hood and paintjob look great. A key difference that I noted was the fact that there was no Hood insulation underneath the hood like my GM Ram Air Hood had. Should I be pretty concerened about this? Should I buy a separate insulator and get it installed? I saw a WS6 Insulator on sale for eBay, should that work? Thanx for the advice guys.
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

forget that stuff........

of the slp cars, from 91 on up.... the CompTA's, the Firehawks, or the SS's, have insulation under the hood. its a composite hood.....

the only reason GM does it is to make the motor more quiet from the front of the car..... O.E. "frills"...... thats all.

you are muccccccccch better off without the stuff man.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Ditto what Ken said. My SLP Ram Air HO hood came without insulation, and its been on the car for more than 3 years that way with no problems. I would'nt worry about it.

Ken:

Every once in a while, at least on another board, there are people who will claim the stock hood insulation is there to "put out engine fires"...... supposedly it is designed to melt under high heat, fall on the engine and put out the fire. Sounds sort of far fetched to me. Have you ever heard anything like that????
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        Ditto what Ken said. My SLP Ram Air HO hood came without insulation, and its been on the car for more than 3 years that way with no problems. I would'nt worry about it.

Ken:

Every once in a while, at least on another board, there are people who will claim the stock hood insulation is there to "put out engine fires"...... supposedly it is designed to melt under high heat, fall on the engine and put out the fire. Sounds sort of far fetched to me. Have you ever heard anything like that????

no........ never. and if it was an O.E. requirement from GM...then they would have SLP, or MAKE slp do it as part of the tier 1 package........ dont cha think?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

yeah...personally, I like my hood without it. Looks much cleaner...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Thanks guys.
            Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

Working...
            X