Rearend Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rearend Questions

I am reading of people blowing up their stock rearends. I'm wanting to run a stick tire, but don't want to kill my daily driver. I have looked at replacement axles and posi, but would it be better to goto a 12 bolt. My car is a stock 2000 Z28 / A4. It has run a best of 13.66 @ 103.5 MPH. How much power can you put thur a stock rearend?

Thanks, Will

Some people blow them up stock with just a pair of drag radials on the rear. Others have taken the stock 10 bolt into the 10's! I dont know how that works - lucky. My car will be running around 11.80's with slicks and I am doing the swap to a custom 12 bolt right now. Ita worth it if your going to be racing every so often, If its just street duty, with a street tire - I wouldnt worry about it. Dont bother modding the 10 bolt for more strength. By the time your done, you've spent a grand and you still dont have a strong rear.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Automatics are generally more forgiving on the rear. I've seen several examples in the high 10s. I also see stock stick cars break the rear. It's all in the application of the power....

Comment

Automatics don't shock the rear-end like M6's. So that is 1 thing in your favor.

Do you plan on running a high stall coverter?
        How big of a slick?

Considering you remain essentially stock and you don't go with bigger than a 3000 stall, you should be alright.

The stock 10 bolt is just a gamble.

Comment

Most of my modes will be bolt on items. I was thinking of doing the converter, but wanted to see how fast I can go with out it. If I run any tire it will be a drag radial. My 60 foot time suck, the best I have put down is 2.11.

Thanks, Will

Comment

Working...
          X