Fords ticked at me........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fords ticked at me........

but i cant believe they didnt realize something like this would "come up".
    some of you are aware, Firestone stepped up to the plate and is doing a voluntary safety campaign on swithching out thier Steeltex A/T load range d tires that were o.e. on the Excursion. 5 deaths and multiple failures prompted them to jump right on it.......with Fords help of "course" :roll:

well..the dealeo is..firestone mailed cards to all the customers (2000-earl 2003 Excursions) with instructions on what to do. of course...the info came from ford....cause firestone has no idea who bough what where and when......

the official letter that was generated from ford stated "if a vehicle has one or more of the subject tires on it, all five tires must be replaced"..

why? because ford is having them replaced with load range E tires in lieu of D.........

at first....firestone stated that the reason they were putting on load range E..is that the d was no longer available. but guess what......? ford has an approved replacement tire list.....and states "these tires are the ONLY approved tires to be used as replacements during this safety campaign."

there is no firestone tire on that list. its 4 Pirelli's and 2 BF Goodriches.....in .......load range E hmmmmmmm those tires are available in load range D........ hmmmmmmm x4

we have 803 2000-2003 Excursions in our fleet...most of them law enforcement..but some geological survey, bur. of land management...forest service......etc..... the latters of which worry me.....because they tend to overload the vehicles...and lower tire pressures when off road....

so...... after contacting fords POC for Govt. fleet operations....and informing him that we have a number of Excursions that have already worn out the o.e. tires and gotten fitted with replacement tires...... my question to ford is: is it fords intention to upgrade the Excursion tire to load range E? he balked. i would too......think about it...... if this is the case....and the media gets a hold of that.....and the lawyers that are pursuing cases of the tire failures..... the new scenerio will be "Ford produced the Excursion and sold it with a tire that was of a load range and design not capable of performing properly in heavy duty and emergency situations"..... granted.....the D carries the GVW of the SUV......but .....under blow out conditions..or severe air loss....the sidewalls are not as stiff and the E and allow for more body sway and less steering control....

he contacted Ford tire engineering and we set up a conference call. my big BIG boss was there, me, and my boss.....

same question.... total silence...... then: "we will have to get back to you".
    then i asked "did you pick load range E as a replacement for engineering reasons or because of lack of availability of the D"? a gentleman spoke up and said "performance reasons".......then their end got muffed real quick............

"we will have to get back to you, gentlemen" a stern voice said.

as we left the room....my BIG boss said, "Ken..prepare a formal letter to Ford with my signature outlining this whole scenerio and we are calling them to the table on this one....because if we have to replace all the tires on our Excursions and upgrade to E (the ones that are not involved in the recall).....then thats gonna cost mucho....". i said "not to mention....what about "joe public"....are they going to just tell us that "yes....go to e"..and expect us not to call NHTSA? the answer to that is HELL NO.

folks.....this might just real ugly...... shades of the Explorer/Wilderness situation......or worse.....for Ford.....

i dont like to see this kind of stuff.... but there had been enough deaths attributed to tire failures in the last few years.... the picture has to be painted in the right colors.....

anyway...... thats why you aint seen my ugly (_!_) on line......

laters.

im going up to have a beer.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Thanks for the info. You know, it's amazing how much stuff like this happens all the time. It's really sickening when you think about it. It's people's lives here, not just numbers on a graph.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Sounds like Ford should run for office being the devious politicians they are!

Comment

Re: Fords ticked at me........

Originally posted by wolfman
        thats why you aint seen my ugly (_!_) on line......

you're right about one thing.

Comment

Re: Re: Fords ticked at me........

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          you're right about one thing.

may the fleas of a thousand camels infest the interior of your underwear............. of course.....they would fit......since its pretty empty...........

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

You can feel the love in the air!

Comment

To me, the solution has been not to accept Firestone tires.

When we bought my wife's 2002 Taurus wagon, I told the Ford salesman that I would not accept it if it had Firestone tires on it. It came with Firestones. I made them change them to Continentals.

Haven't trusted Firestone since the "721" debacle in the 70s.
              R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Keep 'em honest, Ken!
                Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Ford will try and blame this on tire maker again,like they did last time!!!!!
                  94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeLord
                    of course!

the Excurson belongs on a Load Range E...lets face it...... but... my bet is..ride quality was not good......so..D being able to carry the load AT higher inflation..they went with that... but underinflation becomes critical with the D, much more so than it would with an E...........

Comment

Originally posted by TimeLord
                      exactly.. Firestone is not the problem, why boycott Firestone? I love my Firehawks!

If the tire was the problem, they would be failing in great quantitys on all cars and trucks... not *just* Ford trucks.

Dont punnish Firestone for Fords problems.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:
                      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                        exactly.. Firestone is not the problem, why boycott Firestone? I love my Firehawks!

If the tire was the problem, they would be failing in great quantitys on all cars and trucks... not *just* Ford trucks.

Dont punnish Firestone for Fords problems.

Exactly!

F.O.R.D. has a tendency to cut some pretty dangerous corners on their vehicles. Brakes, Fuel Tank Placement, and Tires should never be played with especially for a cost savings. Although, in the case of these monstrous SUVs and trucks, the general public often has little clue on how to maintain or drive them. I hate to say this because I don't agree with much in the way of government regulation, but similar to my motorcycle endorsement, there needs to be a new classification for these large passenger vehicles. So often, these tanks take out people on the highway or the driver takes himself out by having no idea how to handle such a vehicle. The worst accident of my life was caused by an Expedition driver following to close in a pack on I25; traffic stopped and he didn't. The result was something out of NASCAR with parts, cars, and carnage everywhere. I saw the accident develop, shot a gap, and cleared. However, the guy in front of me and the guy behind me were not so lucky not to mention the death of the guy he hit on initial impact. Anyhow, I had to go through testing, training, and a skills test to get my motorcycle endorsement; I think that SUVs and Trucks with a 6,000 GVW or higher should have the same additional endorsement especially if they are rigged to haul a trailer ...just my opinion, but I have to drive my '77 K5 or '87 Suburban completely different then any of my other cars. In years past, there weren't so many of these (heavy) light-tucks on the road plus the roads were far less congested...it is a different ballgame now. The safety people are barking up the wrong tree as we often do trying to make the objects safer rather then the user, but that is a whole 'nother discussion. However, if F.O.R.D. underrated tires on their Excursions, to make the ride softer on the drivers butt, that is pretty darn bad.
                        '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                        '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                        '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                        '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                        '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                        My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

yes folks .....u got it.

when the Wilderness Firestone / Explorer fiasco hit......i spent hrs in meetins with NHTSA in DC.... i kept repeating : other brands of SUV's have blow outs all the time......why aren't they rolling over.....loosing control.......crashinNburnin?".........
                          silence.

Comment

Working...
                          X