does a new higher flowing maf help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does a new higher flowing maf help

does like a grantelli or a G2 maf make a differnece that is notciable and is for real, not a temporary mod that the computer corrects
    1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

I'm certainly no expert, but the answer is "probably not." If your engine is producing 300 HP and you install a MAF that adds 5 HP (unlikely, by the way), that's less than 2 percent. You are not likely to notice any difference.

As I understand it (thanks to "Injuneer Fred"), same thing with replacing the throttle body. Unless you have really modified the guts of the engine, the stock throttle body is more than sufficient and replacing it would be a waste of money (might even be counterproductive).

Remember, there is only so much air/fuel an engine can use in any configuration. Give the designers credit: They have largely optimized the engine efficiency right from the factory and you aren't likely to improve things without a lot of money, effort and know-how.

By the way, I kept my stock MAF but replaced the MAF ends with ones made by Mallory Billet Aluminum. They look better, but I have not really noticed any difference. There may be a difference at wide-open throttle, but with so many other things happening at that point, how would you know without instrumentation to verify it?
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

You can reduce inlet temps. by replacing your aluminum MAF ends with composite ends which will help some

I tried the Granatelli MAF with a mild 383 setup and it showed about a 7 hp increase but totally screwed with my A/F ratio on the high end, so we sent it back nevertheless.

Comment

Yea, if you havent really "suped" up the motor there really is no point cuz there isnt that much more air gong into the intake manifold that is getting used. Your should have ported heads if you upgrade the mass air or throttle body, there is alot more and better things to do than bust 300 or 350 on a product that isnt going to help out the ET much.
        1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

If you're heavely modified you won't see a difference. This is a great mod if you're fairly stock. By fairly I mean exhuast work, chip and gears.
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Working...
          X