How much performance gain from CAI?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much performance gain from CAI?

How much is the TRUE performance gain of a CAI? I know there are a lot of claims...I've heard anything from 5-20 hp I can honestly say I've felt a difference with mine, but strictly when the RPMS shoot up...

What difference have you really seen on your car in a dyno because of a CAI with a high flow MAF and 1LE Elbow?
    1994 Formula
    3.23's
    Moroso Cold Air Intake
    G2 High Flow MAF
    Flowmaster Exhaust w/ High-Flo Cat
    1LE Intake Elbow
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors
    NGK TR55's, Accel High Performance Coil, Accel Extreme Wires

In the real world, depending on brand and application you're probably looking at 5-8 hp for a CAI. Try www.ws6.com for the dyno numbers.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

The real gain is when you mate it to a free flow intake and exhaust...also, if its not a daily driver, you can make a custom ram air pan in the splash gaurd and force feed the CAI some air

I did this a few months ago...it was pretty easy, BUT I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver, the paper filter could EASILY get water soaked from rain, puddles, etc.

KnightFire
      1993 Formula Firebird
      Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

I dont have dyno runs, but I have timeslips.
        last october I ran a 14.8@93 with the car completely stock (well with the exception of just a flowmaster muffler welded in place of stock one)
        I then changed the following:
        installed SLP CAI
        lowered rear tire PSI to 26
        removed spare tire and jack
        I ran it last week and went 14.4@97 in pretty comparably weather conditions and at the same track.
        It definitely helped my top end out a bit, but I also had a very clogged filter in it the first time I went. If I would have ran it just changing the CAI and keeping everything else exactly the same it probably wouldve been .1-.2 faster with the CAI.
        94 Firebird Formula LE3 383 - Built 4L60E w/ 3500rpm stall - Macs into SLP LM - 3.73s in stock rear - having fun with problems

Comment

Working...
        X