need some help, please engine experts >>

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TRANS AM IN EUROPE
    its hard turning the engine by hand , with the spark plugs out . ist this because of lack of lubrication?
    How hard??.... You should be able to turn it fairly easily with a big wrench on the crank hub bolt.

You may not be able to easily turn it with your bare hands. The rings create friction, and the valvesprings are under tension.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

well, i could turn it easy 1 or 2 turns, than it was harder and i gave up. i used a ~40 cm long wrench. should i try again?
      93 t/a A4 3.23s
      95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
      99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
      99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
      97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
      93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
      00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

That size wrench should turn it easily. If it gets to a point it wont turn with the plugs removed, you have a problem. I'd try again and hope it turns freely. As you turn it, listen for any sign of an interference.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Just to clarify, do you have ALL the plugs out?

As Tracy said, turn it and try to find where the tension is coming from. You would probably hear it if it is, say a dropped valve. If it is a bent rod, then you would probably be able to turn it a small ways and then it would simply stop turning.

When you tried to start the motor before, did you notice any kind of loud sounds? It is possible, but I highly doubt it....that if you have a hydrolocked cylinder and try to start it continuously, you could bend a rod. I don't think the starter is that strong, but that's what I've heard. Also, did you notice any other sounds when you drove it last year, just before you let it sit for the long time?
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

the car ran fine , but it just died while driving( no weird noise). i replaced the fuel pump.
            when i turn the engine by hand i can hear a sound like pulling out the cork of a bottle of wine- squeeech
            all plugs are off

after alot of tryes to start the engine the starter just clicked- but didnt turn the engine. starter is ok. sometimes it turned the engie a little, with some weird noise, wich i think was because of the fuel in the cylinder.

i ll try by hand as soon as i can
            93 t/a A4 3.23s
            95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
            93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc

Comment

Well, hopefully you'll be able to turn it by hand later. I still recommend you get a fuel pressure gauge to read your pressure. Thunderracing has it for $35 plus shipping, and plus a possible $10 service charge for international shipping. This way, you can see if your regulator or anything else is bad. But I would still try to figure out what it causing it to stop turning

I would as Injuneer or Joe1320 because they are pretty knowledgeable with these motors.

BTW, did you see any fuel coming out of the spark plug hole when you tried to turn it over by hand?
              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

a lot of fuel came from spark plug no 2 hole, also 6 and 8

i will try to check the fuel pressure somehow, but after replacing the pump, it is considerably higher. i think its ok. injectors dont leak anymore.
                i m worried about the engine not turning easily thing
                93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Working...
                X